Softube ENGL Savage

I have the Brainworx ENGL Savage 120 (based off the original, not the MkII).

I got it not for what you'd expect (chug chug chug), but because Blackmore used one on Rainbow's "Stranger In Us All" album; example:

I fiddled with it a bit but have yet to really dig in, but it's cool.

ENGL Blackmore Signature captures have been my go to’s from the first day I got my QC. I’ve wanted a Blackmore or Savage ever since.

Is the Blackmore an offshoot of one of their other amps? (Fireball, Powerball etc)

wow, the amp controls and buttons and text is sooo tiny... I have my face right up on the pc screen to see hahaha

wow, the amp controls and buttons and text is sooo tiny... I have my face right up on the pc screen to see hahaha
mr-krabs-spongebob.gif

Finally checking it out, they've done a good job.

I kind of agree that some of the buttons and text is hard to read even though the amps look stunning. I also find Amp Room a bit clunky to use and generally prefer their standalone stuff where possible. Its just not as slick as it could be - lots of things take several clicks to do, information isnt always visible, its all a bit hodge podge (some elements could do with some kind of background as they just look like buttons dropped onto the screen). I also find it laggy, sometimes the graphics will take a few seconds to update (which is annoying when I'm trying to remove redundant processing blocks). Its got a lot of the issue's I don't like about Amplitube's UI (too bloated, too many clicks to do things, laggy/sluggish performance). Compared to Amplitube, I think they generally have more and better information on the screen at any one point but they could do with adding type to search and more ways to group to find what you need, rather than scrolling through a list that is very jumpy. It feels buggier than any other Softube plugin I use too, moving the mic feels jumpy, sometimes the value displays don't show any information.

It sounds great to me, behaves like I'd imagine/sounds like an ENGL. Not sure I'd buy, but its more because I find all ENGL amps to be so similar to each other and I can probably get close enough to the tones I like with what I already own. I think this would be great for someone who LOVES the Savage Mark II and wants all the channels and modes etc.

Guessings its 3V=0dBFS for input levels. Its a gainy and diverse amp with a lot of modes and features, so I think accurate input levels would matter a lot for this one.

Back