So proud.

the swede

Shredder
My son (14) decided out of the blue to start boxing… in a real boxing club. He never wanted to try sports ever. We decided he should try anything he want to try with our full support. But it was always “no” to all ball sports or team sports. Since one or two years back he started to take interest in personal training, weights and body. So we bought a small gym for our home wich I also use.

And now, he’s at his third training in the boxing club. Teachers seems awesome, as well as the people there. They train together regardless if they’re beginner/experienced/young/old. It’s amazing to see, I never thought that about boxing.
And the training is insane!?! A warmup looks like some kind of military special forces scene from movies. I’m sweating just looking at them.

Anyway. I feel proud because I never did anything as a kid, no sports, nothing. I was shy, skinny, introvert (still am, all of those). And i was always afraid he’d kinda become like me… he is a little quiet and he is an introvert. But he has courage and guts, and when he decides on something it’s 100%. Also he did this alone. Normally he tags on with friends if he does anything. But this was his own idea, and all alone.

Any way… those of you with kids. You know the feeling. When you’re proud your kid is greater than you and overachieving yourself. Strange, weird, but awesome.

rocky GIF

Great way to keep fit and he'll gain a lot of confidence from both the physical and social aspects of the training.

Good on him! The confidence one gets from knowing solid self defense skills honestly pays dividends in life. Knowing you can neutralize someone if needed can sure remove a lot of uncertainty from the unusual circumstances we sometimes find ourselves in.

Good on him! The confidence one gets from knowing solid self defense skills honestly pays dividends in life. Knowing you can neutralize someone if needed can sure remove a lot of uncertainty from the unusual circumstances we sometimes find ourselves in.
Not only that, but the main thing as of now (for me, that matters) is that he’s doing something on his own that he wanted to do. A teenager and all what that means you know. Insecurities, uncomfortable feelings, socializing…
It’s a very intimate environment and very far from the normal “safe zone behavior” kids these days has, and he certainly is a boundary type of person. So it’s cool to see, he needs that, to let others step into his “private zone” and for him to open up the comfort zone.

I hope he continues. It’s awesome training, physically and confidence/mentally.

Not only that, but the main thing as of now (for me, that matters) is that he’s doing something on his own that he wanted to do. A teenager and all what that means you know. Insecurities, uncomfortable feelings, socializing…
It’s a very intimate environment and very far from the normal “safe zone behavior” kids these days has, and he certainly is a boundary type of person. So it’s cool to see, he needs that, to let others step into his “private zone” and for him to open up the comfort zone.

I hope he continues. It’s awesome training, physically and confidence/mentally.
That’s a great point. There’s probably some parental validation seeing him self select a wholesome hobby that builds character amongst other things.

Back