Setup Question: HX FX + High-Output Preamp

dronerstone

Roadie
Howdy folks!

I'm on the wait list for a Kuro Custom Audio "Exegol" Sunn Model T preamp (from Italy). As usual, I can't stop thinking about how I'm gonna approach setup/wiring etc.

Anyhow, I'm planning to use that one "like an amp" into the power amp in of my Katana mk2 head, which bypasses everything but the master volume.

I'll probably set the preamp to a slightly hairy/chunky sound, and hit the front end with a Twin Bender for all-out fuzz.

Here's the trickier part that's already given me trouble sleeping: where and how would I place the HX FX in that chain? I use it for mod/delay/reverb, mainly.

My current idea:

Guitar > fuzz > HX input > HX send > preamp > HX return > HX out > Katana

BUT: that particular Model T preamp has an additional/dedicated line-level output which provides more than sufficient volume to drive a power amp.

Would this (instead of going instrument-level) cause clipping in the HX loop return?

Btw, check it out. It sounds awesome, and judging by reviews, the response is indeed very amp-like. The builder is a great dude and replies really quickly. Street price is decent too (230€).

You could just do guitar-fuzz-pre-HXFX- Kat if the HXFX is just handling wet FX
Thanks for the reply!

So, probably no clipping the inputs then?

I'll definitely have to try, but apart from mod/delay/reverb, I'd use the HX FX for wah duties too. Although I'm a "wah after fuzz" person, I'd still put that pre-preamp.

Correct me if that doesn't matter much. ;)

Thanks for the reply!

So, probably no clipping the inputs then?

I'll definitely have to try, but apart from mod/delay/reverb, I'd use the HX FX for wah duties too. Although I'm a "wah after fuzz" person, I'd still put that pre-preamp.

Correct me if that doesn't matter much. ;)
If you keep the output of the preamp in check you shouldn't clip the input of the HX especially if the HX input is set to accept Line Level.

And yeah, 4CM into the HX would be the way to go if you want anything before the preamp.

I think you'll definitely want to go into the fuzz first.

If you keep the output of the preamp in check you shouldn't clip the input of the HX especially if the HX input is set to accept Line Level.

And yeah, 4CM into the HX would be the way to go if you want anything before the preamp.

I think you'll definitely want to go into the fuzz first.
I currently have that particular fuzz (Ramble FX Twin Bender) running in the HX loop, blended with a tube overdrive using the LS-2, and that fuzz has an impedance knob, which makes it reeeaaally usable that way.

That setup seems complicated, although it really isn't. ;)

Thanks man, much appreciated! I'll try my best as soon as I have the Model T preamp in my hands.

Back