Saw The Cure live for the first time last night

Jarick

Shredder
Born in 1983 so I grew up listening to them on the radio. Went through their back catalog over the last few years but wouldn't call myself a super fan at all. But as I never saw them before, I grabbed a ticket as I don't know if I'll get the chance again.

Robert Smith's voice still sounds like he did on the albums 30 years ago, which is impressive at 64 years old. They played a two and a half hour set which is also pretty impressive (was kind of expecting a little over 90 minutes). And pretty fun to see songs I grew up with live for the first time.

On the flip side, man they could have cut out about an hour of the show. Felt like they played about every 8-10 minute song they ever wrote, and honestly the show felt pretty long at times. Maybe it was the age of the crowd (sell out show of 15,000+ people in an arena), but it was pretty low energy for much of the show. They did finally plow through about half a dozen of their big hits to close out the show in the second encore, and that woke everyone up.

Backing band was fine, nobody really stood out. Reeves Gabrels had a couple neat squealie solos otherwise he was in the background. The drummer was fine as well, but I wouldn't call his playing exciting by any stretch. One interesting thing is that there was only one mic on stage, for Robert. No backing vocals at any point (either live or tracked). Not sure I've seen that before.

So yeah, a bit of a mixed bag. Still performing well, but not as much energy as I hoped, and could have tightened up the set.

Oh yeah one other thing, the ticket prices were very reasonable. I think only about $40 for basically the same seat as I paid $100 to see Blink-182 a few weeks back.

Saw them in the 90s and it was awesome, but yes, it was a three-hour show. I think they're known for that, which is pretty cool if you're a superfan.

I LOVE the Cure but they are one of those bands I would 100% want to cherry pick the setlist before going to see them :rofl

They’ve been playing a number of new songs from their upcoming new album and those songs sound pretty promising. Thought about seeing them when they came through the Puget Sound but their show sold out pretty quickly. You also mentioned Blink tickets- right now $100 is the entry point for tickets and those are behind or along the side of the stage. Pricing quickly escalates from there. :wat

I LOVE the Cure but they are one of those bands I would 100% want to cherry pick the setlist before going to see them :rofl
Nice thing about that (or not, depending on your viewpoint) is you can usually find out what songs they're playing, and the lineup, ahead of time, in our wonderful internet-age.

the_cure.jpg

Back