Saw Peter Gabriel's i/o tour today

Lysander

Shredder
Holy shit. Not only the guy still totally has it at 73, but i don't think i've ever come across a stronger collection of talent on stage before. Tightest band i've seen live in a long time.

He's touring with his regulars - Manu Katché, Tony Levin, David Rhoades - and a number of incredible new musicians, of which Ayanna Witter-Johnson (cello, keyboards and vocals) was my standout. If they visit your town, i highly recommend buying a ticket ASAP.

This one has been living in my head rent-free since yesterday. It could've easily been recorded on the Us days.

Amazing how Tony Levin laying laying down a bass line can summon a song into existence.

That sounds amazing! Never seen him live. Guessing this could potentially be his last majour tour.

Never know.

Now I want to go in September.

That sounds amazing! Never seen him live. Guessing this could potentially be his last majour tour.

Given that Gabriel is pushing 70 and tends to put out an album per decade... yeah. Don't miss it if you get the chance.

The show production was pretty fucking dope as well. It's built like a massive audiovisual experience.

I have always been Too Dumb For Peter Gabriel.

darkside_newthumb.png

I still love the song Games Without Frontiers best, from his melting cover self titled album. Everything about the song is just strange and great. And I think So is like one of those audio engineering masterpieces that sets the standard of all music going forward.

I saw a rocumentary about the recording of So, and it was interesting to me how much space and freedom he had. What a different time. There was this enormous house in a rural area, and the album just came together piece by piece there.

I've also always loved what he did for the soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ. That music is just incredible.

I been listening and watching some old Genesis performances on YT.

The ending verse of "supper's ready" to me is still one of the best musical passages of all time. Peter Gabriel's vocal right into Steve Hacketts guitar solo, one of the finest guitar solos ever.

The ending verse of "supper's ready" to me is still one of the best musical passages of all time. Peter Gabriel's vocal right into Steve Hacketts guitar solo, one of the finest guitar solos ever.

Cued up here:

Mid 70s me and my best friend made a habit of buying albums based on the covers alone - not knowing anything about the artist or the music. As long as it was in the POPULAR section at the department store.

One especially baked day we grabbed these two.
1706138370070.png

1706138447813.png

GAME CHANGING. After a super steady diet of Zeppelin/Purple/Sabbath this shit was like dropping acid while on a spaceship to mars and reading Lewis Carroll to pass the time. Got to see Genesis once on their Mama tour (the light show to end all light shows) and Gabriel solo 3 times, the first being 2nd row center stage for the So tour.

Last edited:
Back