Roland GP-100

Roadie
Gear Pro
I've been curious about the GP-100 for a while now, mostly due to Devin Townsend, but reading @Digital Igloo AMA recently made me want to grab one and try it out. A few takeaways;
- It totally does the Dev Terria thing. 5150 model, big verb and delay plus open or Drop C. Super fun.
- Most of what are now considered standard features were incorporated in there. Fender/Marshall/Vox(Matchless)/Boogie/5150/Soldano models. All the main effect flavours plus a well featured harmoniser. Continuous control. Multiple outputs.
- BOSS still use the same preset EQ and filter options across their modern line of effects. There's a straight line from the GP-100 to the GT-1000/GX-100. The third party software editor is snappier to use than the official BOSS software editors too.
- Direct sounds are dated but with IR's or power amp simulation you can get some totally "modern" tones.
- The Tap Delay is FANTASTIC.
- There's roughly 10 years between this being released and the first Axe-Fx coming out. One could argue most improvements since then since then has been gradual updates to the tones and ease of use.

Anyone else use one of these at any point?

I've owned one at least 3 times, and might get another one some day. It was perfect for a rack guitar/guitar synth/looping rig, and while it doesn't really compare to something like a Fractal in clean, semi-clean, and distorted sounds, you can come up with completely unique tones with one that doesn't sound at all like a Fender/Marshall/ SLO, etc. It doesn't react to dynamics well, but the effects are fantastic, and it forced me to come up with sounds I couldn't get anywhere else.

I've owned one at least 3 times, and might get another one some day. It was perfect for a rack guitar/guitar synth/looping rig, and while it doesn't really compare to something like a Fractal in clean, semi-clean, and distorted sounds, you can come up with completely unique tones with one that doesn't sound at all like a Fender/Marshall/ SLO, etc. It doesn't react to dynamics well, but the effects are fantastic, and it forced me to come up with sounds I couldn't get anywhere else.
The "fantasy echo" and strings style patches are amazing!

Very solid tones for the first modeler ever, impressive.
What power amp simulation did you use?

Trivia: Christopher Lee had two broken fingers in one of the shots in FotR.
christopher lee broken fingers.jpg

Last edited:
This was such a cool demo!

I'm also liking that 3rd party editor software. Now I want Axe-Edit to offer amp/cab + effect block at the same time on screen.

@James Freeman I've got a "Tube Pre" block in the Axe-Fx with all the power section/impedance stuff copied parameter for parameter from the Brit 800. Sounds pretty similar to my DSL power section but it let me do everything in stereo.

@laxu same! Would be cool to have an option to have amp tone page/simplified speaker/fx page all at once.

Yup enjoyed watching that. always great content in your Videos, and well in you hands it sounded really good as everything usually does
one has to wonder about why so many bashed the sound of those early pioneers :idk
PS: did the cat inspire the tones ?
:D

I had one of those. Bought it in 97 I think. Kept it until just before I got my Helix in 2016.

The 80’s cleans you dialed in right at the jump of the video (especially once you kicked in the delay) we’re amazing. The “progress” we’ve made with new kit is really more around the edges than anything. That was a great tone then, and is a great tone now.

I’ve got one. The encoders are shot, but it’s otherwise functional. It was great in the late ‘90s, but the modern gear sounds way better to me, honestly. It does do nearly everything you could possibly imagine though. I used to run it through a Peavey Valverb and BBE Sonic Maximizer to get it sounding less one dimensional.

-Aaron

I've been curious about the GP-100 for a while now, mostly due to Devin Townsend, but reading @Digital Igloo AMA recently made me want to grab one and try it out. A few takeaways;
- It totally does the Dev Terria thing. 5150 model, big verb and delay plus open or Drop C. Super fun.
- Most of what are now considered standard features were incorporated in there. Fender/Marshall/Vox(Matchless)/Boogie/5150/Soldano models. All the main effect flavours plus a well featured harmoniser. Continuous control. Multiple outputs.
- BOSS still use the same preset EQ and filter options across their modern line of effects. There's a straight line from the GP-100 to the GT-1000/GX-100. The third party software editor is snappier to use than the official BOSS software editors too.
- Direct sounds are dated but with IR's or power amp simulation you can get some totally "modern" tones.
- The Tap Delay is FANTASTIC.
- There's roughly 10 years between this being released and the first Axe-Fx coming out. One could argue most improvements since then since then has been gradual updates to the tones and ease of use.

Anyone else use one of these at any point?

I am starting to think you could plug your guitar lead into a watermelon and make it sound great.

Oh man, those pitch detune tones are delicious. What's with most (modern) gear having such a hard time nailing these?!
Oh man pitch detune...I've gone down that rabbit hole a little too far. I think it's honestly a case of the tech behind it getting so good that some of the character has been sucked out.

For example THE detune sound all others are measured by on the Eventide H3000 (preset #231) actually sounds pretty glitchy with very abrupt cross fades between the pitch splices. There's also a decent amount of latency, but when it's blended in against the dry tone it just makes everything sound HUGE. Another factory detune preset (#519) on the H3000 that uses a different algorithm and sounds a little different too.

The SPX90 detune sounds great on guitars too even though it's not quite as accurate and has even more latency than the Eventide.

The dual diatonic mode in the Fractal pitch block lets you adjust the tracking type and amount so you can dial in just the right amount of jank on there. The Helix detune is serviceable but sounds a little too "chorusy" for my taste . The GT-1000 sounds pretty good. The Eventide H9/H90 detunes sound great but they don't sound like the older Eventides IMO. The QC doesn't even have a dual detune - heresy!

I did this not too long ago.

Thanks for tuning into my TED talk.

The 80’s cleans you dialed in right at the jump of the video (especially once you kicked in the delay) we’re amazing. The “progress” we’ve made with new kit is really more around the edges than anything. That was a great tone then, and is a great tone now.

When I first turned it on the unit was on that preset. I usually don't expect much with factory presets but that hit the spot immediately.

GP-100 was 1995 and the first Axe-Fx was 2006? Pretty much all the big advances got made in that time and once we had IR's and component modeling the rest has been polishing up the edges.

I'd like a Non Bus Yellow GP-1000 please Boss. Make it happen. Wireless and shrunk down GK-3 while you are at it. Please and Thank You.

I had three GP-100s back in the day. IMO, they were the king the hill during their rein. Preset changes were quick like a bunny. Tones and versatility were unmatched.

I still miss that warm golden 1-RU box sitting in my rack. But I ran a comparison on my GP-100 vs my Fractal Ultra. Not even close. I made the switch to Fractal and never looked back. Subsequent generations of Fractal gear made the gap even wider.

I kept one in my FX8 beta test rig as gear to interact with the FX8 and to test MIDI functions. I have fond memories of it, but no need for it.

Back