Quantized and Auto-tuned music can eat a bag of dicks

hippietim

Roadie
I was just listening (aka, being subjected to) some current music and then I switched over to another station and some old Sam & Dave was on. The Sam & Dave recording is noisy and imperfect - IOW, brilliant.

There's nothing more soul sucking than listening to overly compressed, copy/pasted, synced, and autotuned music. Really. Fuck all that.

Here's where some clever bastard will tell me how AI will solve that problem. Well, duh, clearly the solution to people using machines to cover up their flaws is to have machines do the whole thing.

Now get the fuck off my lawn!!!!!

Yeah!

mad gran torino GIF

I second that, sir.
Thanks
Pauly
I was just listening (aka, being subjected to) some current music and then I switched over to another station and some old Sam & Dave was on. The Sam & Dave recording is noisy and imperfect - IOW, brilliant.

There's nothing more soul sucking than listening to overly compressed, copy/pasted, synced, and autotuned music. Really. f**k all that.

Here's where some clever bastard will tell me how AI will solve that problem. Well, duh, clearly the solution to people using machines to cover up their flaws is to have machines do the whole thing.

Now get the f**k off my lawn!!!!!

I mean...

EW&F possibly aren't a prime example of how to do things without faking, given that plenty of Verdine White's killer basslines hardly ever seemed to actually be played live by the guy himself (there's various theories about how they were doing things). And yes, finding out about that has really been shocking me because in my universe, if anyone, EW&F was *the* killer live band.

Depends every bit on the musical style.

I agree with this. For some modern metal stuff where the intent is to sound like a pummeling machine, quantizing works.

Overall, the majority of music we've heard for the last 30-40 years was played to a click and at most we end up hearing some speeding up/slowing down in fills, but the entire body of the song was tracked to a click and I have zero problems with the main body of the song being on the grid. Guitars/bass/vocals are a different story. I'm working on a song now where the tempo never changes, but the guitars are constantly shifting on top of/behind the beat and it changes the entire feel of the section with a pushing/pulling effect, regardless of the fact the drums are on a grid.

Every Pantera song is dead nuts in time, but man that sh*t swings and grooves all over the place.

Back