35pTkP2.jpg

2ZJn3Wb.jpg

27ST1ns.jpg

DCidtNI.jpg

wIhl75H.jpg

zl4evqM.jpg

This is mine:
20240210_220806.jpg20240210_215250.jpg20240210_215625.jpg

As far as I know it started as a Super Lead Reissue in 1992, which is a bit weird, with the three switches.
I bought it for myself as a graduation gift in a pretty atrocious condition. Someone had modded this amp to hell and back, cutting the circuit board with an angle grinder and wiring in a new circuit board with a high gain circuit, adding a preamp tube and two pots, thankfully in the jack holes, so the cosmetics were reversible. The choke was gone. The new circuit board was loosely held in place by two wobbly screws and a lot of spaghetti wiring. This amp sounded fun for a minute and then went incredibly noisy incredibly fast and was just overall scary. I bought me a broken amp as a restoration project for cheap. That was all I could afford at that time.

When I finally had saved enough, I gave it to a friend of mine who worked on a lot of amps to rebuild it, getting rid of the butchered circuit boards.
I asked him to keep the parts that could be salvaged and to make it nice without going voodoo, as I still could not afford going all bougie.
He made some changes to the grounding scheme, and so this amp is pretty quiet. He talked me into a PPIMV, which is great, though I really wanted a ridiculous amp, at that time.
The circuit is more or less based on his favorite 68 Super Lead.

I've got a 1960A to go with it, which I bought a couple of years later.
Some guy on the local Craigslist was offering a Marshall 4x12, defect, price negotiable.
I was looking for an empty 4x12 to fit my budget and to add speakers later as money allowed.
I asked him how this cab was defective and he said that there was one broken speaker and that he did not know anything further about the cab.
Asking for pictures of the speakers I helped him identify and date the speakers, they turned out to be Rola G12-65 from 1982. Three were in excellent condition, one seemingly never worked.
I respectfully bailed out of a deal, as they were more than I could afford at the time.

Four weeks later this guy contacted me again and said that he would really like to sell the cab to me, as he was totally fed up dealing with lowballers and grifters. He asked how much I could put on the table.
Lending my a little money from friends I had 250 bucks to offer and he sold me that cab.
Later I replaced the broken speaker with another G12-65.

Ownhammer Greenback IR.
No variac or boost, straight in.
Treble and Middle are on 10, Bass 2, Presence 8, this gives plenty of gain.
So, same settings pictured there in your post ?

Mic'ed with single SM-57 ?

And that's Ownhammer's M-PR-55 right ?

This is mine:
View attachment 18557View attachment 18555View attachment 18556

As far as I know it started as a Super Lead Reissue in 1992, which is a bit weird, with the three switches.
I bought it for myself as a graduation gift in a pretty atrocious condition. Someone had modded this amp to hell and back, cutting the circuit board with an angle grinder and wiring in a new circuit board with a high gain circuit, adding a preamp tube and two pots, thankfully in the jack holes, so the cosmetics were reversible. The choke was gone. The new circuit board was loosely held in place by two wobbly screws and a lot of spaghetti wiring. This amp sounded fun for a minute and then went incredibly noisy incredibly fast and was just overall scary. I bought me a broken amp as a restoration project for cheap. That was all I could afford at that time.

When I finally had saved enough, I gave it to a friend of mine who worked on a lot of amps to rebuild it, getting rid of the butchered circuit boards.
I asked him to keep the parts that could be salvaged and to make it nice without going voodoo, as I still could not afford going all bougie.
He made some changes to the grounding scheme, and so this amp is pretty quiet. He talked me into a PPIMV, which is great, though I really wanted a ridiculous amp, at that time.
The circuit is more or less based on his favorite 68 Super Lead.

I've got a 1960A to go with it, which I bought a couple of years later.
Some guy on the local Craigslist was offering a Marshall 4x12, defect, price negotiable.
I was looking for an empty 4x12 to fit my budget and to add speakers later as money allowed.
I asked him how this cab was defective and he said that there was one broken speaker and that he did not know anything further about the cab.
Asking for pictures of the speakers I helped him identify and date the speakers, they turned out to be Rola G12-65 from 1982. Three were in excellent condition, one seemingly never worked.
I respectfully bailed out of a deal, as they were more than I could afford at the time.

Four weeks later this guy contacted me again and said that he would really like to sell the cab to me, as he was totally fed up dealing with lowballers and grifters. He asked how much I could put on the table.
Lending my a little money from friends I had 250 bucks to offer and he sold me that cab.
Later I replaced the broken speaker with another G12-65.

That is definitely a 1959S - Marshall's first reissues (1959S, 1987S).

How do I know this? I owned a minty 1959S about 20 years ago (sold it eventually). My amp's serial number started with "W" which means year 1988. Yours is a "Z" which means year 1991-92 (end of serial number run before barcoding in Oct 92). These first reissues (1959S, 1987S) were supposed to be akin to a 1973-4 metal panel 100 and 50 watter; respectively.

They used up old stock from the previous models to make way for the newer models: check out the lower (lower than plexi or metal panel era, that is) center horizontal line and rounded cutout control panel corners on the head shell face, which translates perfectly to the old 70's style 2203/2204 Master Volume head shell face; they must have wanted to get rid of the leftovers.

Here's a few pics of mine (mint, unaltered - pics taken in 2007) so you can compare:

1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
8.jpg
11.jpg
14.jpg
HlSXO62.jpeg

Last pic from the History of Marshall book, I believe, showing the 50W version.

Last edited:
Back