Playing a backing track through your effects loop.

gy1900s

Groupie
Been doing this at open mic lately. Basically, playing guitar karaoke while singing over classic rock tunes. Use a Boss IR-2 that has a USB-C input for backing tracks into the loop of my amp. Then I run the line out into the PA. There's just a couple mains with no monitors at the open mic I perform at, so my amp is basically just a monitor for my backing track an guitar.

Sounds good enough.
My question is if I'm damaging my amp speaker by doing this since the backing tracks have drums an bass. I'm only at about 90 decibles, but just wondering if this taking a toll on my speaker and if I could get louder if needed?

I'm planning on eventually getting a little FR speaker thats small enough for this sort of thing, but haven't decided what I want.

Been doing this at open mic lately. Basically, playing guitar karaoke while singing over classic rock tunes. Use a Boss IR-2 that has a USB-C input for backing tracks into the loop of my amp. Then I run the line out into the PA. There's just a couple mains with no monitors at the open mic I perform at, so my amp is basically just a monitor for my backing track an guitar.

Sounds good enough.
My question is if I'm damaging my amp speaker by doing this since the backing tracks have drums an bass. I'm only at about 90 decibles, but just wondering if this taking a toll on my speaker and if I could get louder if needed?

I'm planning on eventually getting a little FR speaker thats small enough for this sort of thing, but haven't decided what I want.
It your amp running distortion, or is that through your pedals?

It your amp running distortion, or is that through your pedals?
I use a Boss IR 2 for my preamp along with all my effects into the effects loop. The IR-2 has an audio in that the emulated speaker or amp does not effect.

I run my guitar into the front of the amp on the 2nd Chanel which only uses the power amp with a volume and tone control. It's designed as a pedal platform.

Generally speaking you should run bass and drums out of a PA speaker, or a bass or keyboard amp. Guitar speakers are not designed to handle the movement required for bass frequencies. However, you get to buy a new amp when this one blows, so I say carry on! :LOL:

However, you get to buy a new amp when this one blows, so I say carry on! :LOL:

LOL!

Since the bass and drums are part of a finished MP3 recording, and not direct, there shouldn't be any low end transients with enough power
to damage a guitar speaker.

No offense, but let me know where you're doing this so I don't pay to go there. :rofl

Seriously though, it's gotta sound pretty crappy with a single stiff guitar speaker having to juggle all that stuff simultaneously.
I'd pick up a cheap monitor to sit next to the amp for the backing track stuff.

Last edited:
LOL!

Since the bass and drums are part of a finished MP3 recording, and not direct, there shouldn't be any low end transients with enough power
to damage a guitar speaker.

No offense, but let me know where you're doing this so I don't pay to go there. :rofl

Seriously though, it's gotta sound pretty crappy with a single stiff guitar speaker having to juggle all that stuff simultaneously.
I'd pick up a cheap monitor to sit next to the amp for the backing track stuff.
It's going into a pa.
I'm using my amp as a monitor because the guy that runs the open mic only brings a couple mains

No cover, sorry can come watch me butcher your favorite tunes for free. It's an open mic, so 90% of the performers are just acoustic guys or bedroom players. I do it to get out of the house and have a few beers.

No cover, sorry can come watch me butcher your favorite tunes for free. It's an open mic, so 90% of the performers are just acoustic guys or bedroom players. I do it to get out of the house and have a few beers.

Was totally joshing with ya if it wasn't clear. (y)

Hope some of those beers are on the house! :guiness

Just load the backing tracks into your phone or an mp3 player and use a DI box to go through the PA.
Playing them through the guitar amp does not sound good IMHO. I imagine this is a small venue so you should be able to hear the mains just fine.

Just load the backing tracks into your phone or an mp3 player and use a DI box to go through the PA.
Playing them through the guitar amp does not sound good IMHO. I imagine this is a small venue so you should be able to hear the mains just fine.

It actually a pretty big place, but it's not set up for live music.

Ive ran my pedalboard right into the PA before. I can hear my vocals good, but I have difficulty hearing my guitar in the mix with my backing track unless I turn my guitar up to where it drowns out my backing track. I'm just using my amp as a monitor basically. I have it in an amp stand facing me.

It honestly doesn't sound that bad either because the backing track is only going through the power amp. The preamp pedal I use into the effects loop separates the track from amp and cab simulation.
It certainly doesn't sound as good as an FR speaker, But it sounds a heck of a lot better than just putting an MP3 player into the front of clean amp.

Last edited:
Back