Pick My Next Amp

Pick My Next Amp

• Friedman Steve Stevens v2

• Marshall JVM410

• Marshall JCM800

• Stop, get a new hobby

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sometimes internet-fad mods need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I’ve seen situations where a mod just gains momentum because guys start thinking “everyone seems to be doing this so I guess I have to do it too”

And then there is confirmation bias that you “expect” it to sound better after the mods because other people are saying it sounds better, so you tend to hear what you expect to hear.

100%

That’s why I’m curious what Santiago thinks about them. Which have merits, which are just internet legend that have grown over time. Some people are just bored and like to tinker. lol

Some are just experiments that kill the balance between channels, others like the feedback modification seem more popular. I wouldn't change transformers for example as the difference would be subtle and a choke would probably need some additional changes to make it more noticeable.
Also popular are the mods to make the crunch channel a bit brighter/more 800-ish.
I have proposed myself a coupe of gain reduction mods and an FX loop conversion from parallel to series (these are the best and only true mods that won't make me feel miserable of course hahaha).
People don't know as it's not public I don't make much fuss about it and but some of the mods out there were initially done for people like Joe or Slash. Joe is quite eager to experiment with changes here and there

Friedman SS because duh - living vicariously is as close as I'll ever get to that amp.

Although... you may as well throw another QC into your cart along with the SS. At that price you'd hardly feel it. ;) Make some captures for us little people!

2.0 The Return?

Some are just experiments that kill the balance between channels, others like the feedback modification seem more popular. I wouldn't change transformers for example as the difference would be subtle and a choke would probably need some additional changes to make it more noticeable.
Also popular are the mods to make the crunch channel a bit brighter/more 800-ish.
I have proposed myself a coupe of gain reduction mods and an FX loop conversion from parallel to series (these are the best and only true mods that won't make me feel miserable of course hahaha).
People don't know as it's not public I don't make much fuss about it and but some of the mods out there were initially done for people like Joe or Slash. Joe is quite eager to experiment with changes here and there

Are the gain mods you came up with for specific channels/modes or across the entire amp?

“only true mods that won't make me feel miserable of course hahaha”

:ROFLMAO:
Respect!

Interesting question. It would be weird to pour your guts into a design only to see someone come along and go "Oh; we should "fix" this" :unsure: :oops:

Guitarists always know better----especially when they don't. It's a thing. A chronic one.

How many times are there threads about guitars/amps just purchased, where someone is
looking to mod/upgrade before they have even heard the amp, or played the guitar?

Monkey Mind for the win!!! ;)

Guitarists always know better----especially when they don't. It's a thing. A chronic one.

How many times are there threads about guitars/amps just purchased, where someone is
looking to mod/upgrade before they have even heard the amp, or played the guitar?

Monkey Mind for the win!!! ;)

There is no logic involved in the chase for tone.

So have you picked it. You said for us to help you pick your next amp and the majority said SSv2.

What's it gonna be Whizz?

Back