Pedals to chuck in front of my Recto

The best match I ran was a Fortin grind into the red channel of my RevF Dual Rec.
Turned it into a convincing pseudo MKIV channel 3

I've been boosting my single rec with a 33 clone, precision drive clone, and a TC spark running at 12v, and Im torn between all three.

Lovepedal Tchula. :love

Dual gain stages. Slight volume boost, Dynamic and responsive. :rawk

Not to quibble, but always quibbling. I just don't think a lot (or most)
of the recommendations for slamming and tightening the Rectifier when
aiming for the Brootz are any damn good for doing this other thing that you
are asking about here, Orv. In fact, those options suck donkey balls when
trying to do a full-bodied pushed-clean. :barf

The diode gain doesn't always blend/mesh well with an amp's gain. Great pedals, |
though. Just different use case. :idk

Bogner Blue is another shout worth mentioning here. It excels at the full-bodied pushed clean
thing that is uber dynamic and responsive. You can also slam the front of the Bogner Blue with
something else. Great pedal.

Bogner Blue is another shout worth mentioning here. It excels at the full-bodied pushed clean
thing that is uber dynamic and responsive. You can also slam the front of the Bogner Blue with
something else. Great pedal.
Those Bogner pedals always interested me actually!

Since you already have the Brootz covered with the amp the Bogner Blue will help
get you were you want to go with the Clean Channel. Pretty sure @EOengineer
is a longtime lover/user of the Blue, too.

Purple Plexi
PXL_20231203_174204594.jpg

Since you already have the Brootz covered with the amp the Bogner Blue will help
get you were you want to go with the Clean Channel. Pretty sure @EOengineer
is a longtime lover/user of the Blue, too.
My perception has always been that the revision G clean channel seemed fairly hostile to most dirt pedals but honesty I’ve not even thought to shove the Bogner Blue through it since having a recto back in the bullpen. That’s an interesting prospect, maybe I can give it a shot this week and come back with impressions.

Fukkkin anything mate, if the brief is beyond "Do the TS bass tighten/mid saturation thing that Rectos love."

Get an OD-2, they're better than tubescreamers anyway.

What pedals other than a TS or SD1 would you throw in front of a Recto?

Are there any pedals out there that would give me the sound of the 'Pushed' mode when run into the clean mode???

It really is a shame that the clean/pushed (and I guess the raw/vintage/modern too) switches can't be footswitched.
The Mojo Mojo is an awesome pedal for low gain pushed clean tones when set to around 30% with a big clean amp, especially a recto on the clean channel.

it's also the ultimate pedal to stack in front of an SD-1 for high gain stuff. With the gain on the mojo mojo at around 30% and the gain on the Sd-1 maxed, you get a huge sound because the Mojo mojo maintains the lows the SD-1 can remove.

Tone-Up-with-Paul-Gilbert.jpg

The Mojo Mojo is an awesome pedal for low gain pushed clean tones when set to around 30% with a big clean amp, especially a recto on the clean channel.

it's also the ultimate pedal to stack in front of an SD-1 for high gain stuff. With the gain on the mojo mojo at around 30% and the gain on the Sd-1 maxed, you get a huge sound because the Mojo mojo maintains the lows the SD-1 can remove.

View attachment 28165
So MojoMojo got knighted by Gilbert?!? Didn’t knew that. The mojo has been around for years. Often ridiculed by the fancy pack at top. But it’s a nice drive pedal, imo.

I like the helix timmy model for boosting mesas. I've had an mxr one but did not own it at the same time as any mesas tho

So MojoMojo got knighted by Gilbert?!? Didn’t knew that. The mojo has been around for years. Often ridiculed by the fancy pack at top. But it’s a nice drive pedal, imo.
That is THE budget drive, that is WIDELY underrated, but used by SO MANY.

Gilbert has his own version, the purple one.

I've never seen anyone ridicule it ...but I don't get out much

Yeah, he even has a signature Mojo with a bit more gain.

Funny thing is that Gilbert uses it for low gain. They wanted to make a signature version for him and said it had to be different, so they added a bit more gain and made it purple instead of brown. He said he hates the purple, but he didn't have a choice 😆

I don't wanna brag by saying that i'm well off and can afford anything I want these days, but for the sake of this argument it's relevant, as I use 2 cheap pedals in the Tc electronics mojo mojo and boss ds1 over any drive pedals out there even with price no longer being no issue anymore in middle age. Those two pedals stacked over a slightly breaking clean tone from a Fender voiced amp with 6L6s is the crunch tone of the Gods...

Last edited:
Lots of great recommendations already, just throwing in my .02 - drop an EQ in front of almost any channel on that amp. Pull the lower EQ bands down and lift the upper mids and treble, crank the level to get the boost level you want, and enjoy your amp with both tighter low end and less compression from the pedal clipping.

Without any doubt: RC Booster or a clone of it (the clones often even working a bit better, at least better than my original). Can be pretty much completely clean, has it's own (very light) gain thing going on, though, and - best of all - it has bass and treble controls making it super versatile. I wouldn't happen to know of any amp or dirt pedal this wouldn't work well with. I said so quite some times already: There's more than one good reason why I've gotten 4 of them in my arsenal.

Back