Overdriven amp and delay

newpedals

Groupie
Hi!

I traded my worn-out partscaster and blues deluxe amp for a hardtail strat with HSS pickups and a supro 5 watt amp at a store selling used equipment recently.

I had been using Boss SD-1 in front of my earlier amp. I would dial in some gain on the amp, and use the SD-1 while playing solos. The only other pedal I have is polytune.

My new amp does not have an effects loop. My signal chain is as follows now:

Guitar > Polytune > SD-1 > Amp

I am considering getting a delay pedal. A salesman at the store I visited recommended that I should trade my SD-1 for another overdrive pedal with much more gain.

He said that if I intend to continue using gain from the amp, I should avoid getting a delay pedal as it will not sound good.

I am not experienced with delay pedals. I tried a used digital delay pedal they had in stock first. I am sure that I had not dialled it in correctly, because it sounded unnatural and obtrusive. The repeats sounded pristine though.

I tried an analog delay pedal after that.
I had taken my band mates there with me (bassist and a drummer). The repeats did sit behind the notes naturally as I played, but they were almost inaudible when our band's drummer started playing. The delay was only audible if I was the single person playing.

I don't want to complicate things. Should I get a delay pedal? If yes, which one?

I tend to agree with the salesperson. Use more pedal drive before the delay, and less from
the amp, and the delay won't get as smeared and indistinct.

That said, you may have an hard time accomplishing this with the 5 watt Supro as there is
not a lot of clean headroom on an amp like that. :idk

Hope you like your new guitar and amp setup. :beer

Also, delay pedals can be used a lot of different ways. Always on for thickening and space,
or occasionally for ambience and atmosphere. I love delay. Such a cool tool to have on hand.

I tend to agree with the salesperson. Use more pedal drive before the delay, and less from
the amp, and the delay won't get as smeared and indistinct.

That said, you may have an hard time accomplishing this with the 5 watt Supro as there is
not a lot of clean headroom on an amp like that. :idk

Hope you like your new guitar and amp setup. :beer

Also, delay pedals can be used a lot of different ways. Always on for thickening and space,
or occasionally for ambience and atmosphere. I love delay. Such a cool tool to have on hand.

I am both: singer and the guitarist in our band. So I can't constantly tweak knobs.

I just wanna "set-and-forget" my pedals.

I am enjoying my setup. Thank you.

Thank you. This is interesting.

The analog delay I had tried was easier to set as it had only 3 knobs. Mix, repeats and delay.
Understand, but this gives you 7 presets. That way you can try more than just the analog style. Go through, set it up....cycle through presets easily with the switches..... Viola. Just an idea.

Also, if you ever decide in the future to try a stereo configuration...this does stereo. I understand that you favor simple now...and this is simple...but in the future you may want to be a little adventurous...and this covers that too.

Just a little cheap recommendation. A lot of bang for your buck, especially used.

Understand, but this gives you 7 presets. That way you can try more than just the analog style. Go through, set it up....cycle through presets easily with the switches..... Viola. Just an idea.

Also, if you ever decide in the future to try a stereo configuration...this does stereo. I understand that you favor simple now...and this is simple...but in the future you may want to be a little adventurous...and this covers that too.

Just a little cheap recommendation. A lot of bang for your buck, especially used.

Thank you.

I will see if I can find it used somewhere.

Follow up question:

Is there any difference between a digital delay which has an analog voicing option and an actual analog delay?

The digital delay I tried did not have the analog voicing option.

I had thought of using a delay pedal to make my sound "fuller" for the lack of a better word.

I am asking because I haven't tried many pedals.

Follow up question:

Is there any difference between a digital delay which has an analog voicing option and an actual analog delay?

The digital delay I tried did not have the analog voicing option.

I had thought of using a delay pedal to make my sound "fuller" for the lack of a better word.

I am asking because I haven't tried many pedals.
While there may be a slight discernable difference, it isn't that big of a deal at the end of the day, especially once you learn more about your signal chain, and how it all interact with itself.

This i believe emulates Analog (bbd) type, tape, digital, digital modulated...etc.

Honestly, with this ..you can even cover simple modulation, without delay...if you know how to be creative. Ie. Turn delay time to 0, then turn up the modulation in that setting...boom vibrato/chorus.

Tape echo emulator will usually give you a digital pre emulator built in.....that can be used as a boost, without tape echo.....in much the same way as above. Turn down echo mix.....turn up input/pre, boom boost.

For like $60 new USD, that's a ton of function, for little investment......this is all I'm saying.

The analog emulator should be very good in this. There are also other companies making very similar things, which may be more available in your area.

While there may be a slight discernable difference, it isn't that big of a deal at the end of the day, especially once you learn more about your signal chain, and how it all interact with itself.

This i believe emulates Analog (bbd) type, tape, digital, digital modulated...etc.

Honestly, with this ..you can even cover simple modulation, without delay...if you know how to be creative. Ie. Turn delay time to 0, then turn up the modulation in that setting...boom vibrato/chorus.

Tape echo emulator will usually give you a digital pre emulator built in.....that can be used as a boost, without tape echo.....in much the same way as above. Turn down echo mix.....turn up input/pre, boom boost.

For like $60 new USD, that's a ton of function, for little investment......this is all I'm saying.

The analog emulator should be very good in this. There are also other companies making very similar things, which may be more available in your area.

Thank you. This is very informative.

I will check out local stores and online used marketplaces like reverb.

I am quite excited to try new sounds :)

@newpedals What bands do you like???? What tones do you like???

There are loads of guitarists (me included) who usually prefer delay before distortion.

I play covers, usually get to perform bar gigs. I avoid songs which have too many or weird effects. I am both the singer and the guitar player. Our band comprises of me, a bassist and a drummer.

I play covers, usually get to perform bar gigs. I avoid songs which have too many or weird effects. I am both the singer and the guitar player. Our band comprises of me, a bassist and a drummer.
Then you’ll probably use delay in a subtle way, so it’s there sometimes but not very prominent, in wich case it doesn’t really matter if your amp is breaking up a little. Many people like having a delay as a subtle effect that sits back in the band mix but when a song part calms down or pause in the drums, your delay has an “effect” that’s perceived.

Try dialing in a delay with three repeats where the third repeats almost not noticeable when picking lightly. Mix 30-50%. This will act kinda as a reverb when the band mix is going and for quieter parts you will hear/feel the delay. And you can focus on play/sing. I think you could be able to set most controls and then only adjust the mix control when a song needs more delay.

But as always, you’ll have to dial this in. Think about if you really want your delay to be prominent in the band mix. Thats mostly often the job for a co-guitarist. It’s not easy to sing and focus on using a prominent delay.

Honestly I'm a little surprised you'd use a 5 watt Supro for bar gigs. I have to think you'd need to crank that way up to get enough volume, and then you're kind of limited to a dirty tone. You could use the guitar volume to clean up but then you may not have enough volume.

Anyways, delay may work in front of a dirty amp depending on what you like to do. Good starting points would be the MXR Carbon Copy or Boss DD-3T for basic delays. Analog may blend a little better with the amp while digital would stand out a little more.

Then you’ll probably use delay in a subtle way, so it’s there sometimes but not very prominent, in wich case it doesn’t really matter if your amp is breaking up a little. Many people like having a delay as a subtle effect that sits back in the band mix but when a song part calms down or pause in the drums, your delay has an “effect” that’s perceived.

Try dialing in a delay with three repeats where the third repeats almost not noticeable when picking lightly. Mix 30-50%. This will act kinda as a reverb when the band mix is going and for quieter parts you will hear/feel the delay. And you can focus on play/sing. I think you could be able to set most controls and then only adjust the mix control when a song needs more delay.

But as always, you’ll have to dial this in. Think about if you really want your delay to be prominent in the band mix. Thats mostly often the job for a co-guitarist. It’s not easy to sing and focus on using a prominent delay.

Yes. I want it to be subtle.

I don't want it to be prominent in a band mix.

Honestly I'm a little surprised you'd use a 5 watt Supro for bar gigs. I have to think you'd need to crank that way up to get enough volume, and then you're kind of limited to a dirty tone. You could use the guitar volume to clean up but then you may not have enough volume.

Anyways, delay may work in front of a dirty amp depending on what you like to do. Good starting points would be the MXR Carbon Copy or Boss DD-3T for basic delays. Analog may blend a little better with the amp while digital would stand out a little more.

I liked the way my amp sounded, so I bought it.

I use an overdrive pedal, if I need to add more gain to the sound.

Usually they mic the amp at the bar, so I can manage it.

I am gonna try few delays at a store soon, and carbon copy is highly recommended.

Last edited:
Sounds good, another good one is the DM-2W from Boss. Just about any basic delay would be a fun new tool.

Here's a good video about running effects into a dirty amp:

Sounds good, another good one is the DM-2W from Boss. Just about any basic delay would be a fun new tool.

Here's a good video about running effects into a dirty amp:

excellent video on some key basics many people forget. People also tend to create new problems with today’s advanced effects.

As an ambient/post-rock dude I’d have to disagree with him on the reverb pushing distortion/fuzz thing. It’s only a matter of taste and context. But I won’t lure you @newpedals into my world of doing things “wrong” :rofl

Back