Orv's Frequency Response Thread

Yeah I was thinking about that based on our previous graph discussions. But I think if you move the graphs around too much, you kinda lose the differences in certain areas - ie; aligning one amp to another amps 600hz dip could then make it seem like the first amp was brighter than the second, when actually it was the other way around in terms of brightness... and the first amp had a balls-deep mid scoop that you've now erased.
IMO…. there is no mid scoop in poweramps, just bass and treble boosts. But yeah, more to the story than the graphs show anyway

IMO…. there is no mid scoop in poweramps, just bass and treble boosts. But yeah, more to the story than the graphs show anyway
I think that could be the case; I recall reading that the rated impedance they stamp on speakers is the minimum under which the impedance won't drop when it's hooked up to an amp. If you'd go by the assumption that the SIC and the frequency response curves are somewhat correlated (they seem to be in most cases), we shouldn't have poweramps "gimping" frequencies but boosting them.

I think that could be the case; I recall reading that the rated impedance they stamp on speakers is the minimum under which the impedance won't drop when it's hooked up to an amp. If you'd go by the assumption that the SIC and the frequency response curves are somewhat correlated (they seem to be in most cases), we shouldn't have poweramps "gimping" frequencies but boosting them.

If that is the case, I'll post some aligned ones later today.

What is your signal chain when doin the cabs?
The amp speaker out goes into a Rupert Neve Designs DI box. This is set to speaker level. The 'thru' goes back to the cab to ensure the amp has a load. This then gets me an audio source of the amp in full, complete with a real speaker load. This is typically how I'd make captures with ToneX or NAM as well.

Reactions: Elf
@MirrorProfiles

So yeah this is what I mean:
1702207047486.png

I've aligned the Recto graphs to that peak around 600hz, and it makes the Suhr Reactive Load appear brighter than the real loads, which isn't what I hear perceptually. I tend to feel like aligning the lowest peak matches more with what I hear through the speakers.

But this does show you how flat and lifeless this DIY loadbox I've got is. I'm guessing it is resistive.

A friend of mine has a Torpedo Reload; I'm gonna borrow it and add that to the graphs.

@MirrorProfiles

View attachment 15526

I've aligned the Recto graphs to that peak around 600hz, and it makes the Suhr Reactive Load appear brighter than the real loads, which isn't what I hear perceptually. I tend to feel like aligning the lowest peak matches more with what I hear through the speakers.

But this does show you how flat and lifeless this DIY loadbox I've got is. I'm guessing it is resistive.

A friend of mine has a Torpedo Reload; I'm gonna borrow it and add that to the graphs.
I'd be very curious to see how the Reload looks like; from what I've heard, sonically, it should behave better that the Two Notes Torpedo Captor

View attachment 15502

I do indeed! In my kitchen no less!

Not pictured is a Laney VH100R, which needs a bit of love at the moment, and behind these is a Diezel Hagen which isn't mine, but may as well be for the time being!
Looks like the proper room to hang out all day jammin’ out while you’re supposed to be working.
Kinda’ diver duck-down in the little pocket there
& git’ after it🤘🏻.
Cheers🔥

poweramps gimping frequencies
it’s why we’re here

@MirrorProfiles

View attachment 15526

Yeah these show way more to me. The low end will absolutely vary between poweramps, I dont think its a good place to compare with. That 600hz dip is always the most similar shape between any load. Its basically showing the difference between the bass peak and the treble peak.

I would say the Suhr usually sounds a bit brighter than other loads, at least in that 3k upwards area. Its quite a common complaint from people who have that load, that it makes that upper mid/treble area poke out a little more than other loads do.

My guess, the morning you come-too with stomach pains running through your brains..
You’ll know precisely the taproot of my above
‘goin savage’ comment.
Well back in the day I'd just wake up and do more drugs, fuck my stomach. Gear addiction doesn't look as bad!

Back