Origin Effects M-EQ incoming

Hey there! Yes I have one and its very good. Personally wanted something right after fuzz, buffered, mildly compressed and can give some drive of its own. The list of pedals that can do that well is kinda short. It takes fuzzes really well and runs at 18v internally so it has excellent feel dynamic range. Things to note - Its drive is definitely on the smooth side. Not a bad thing but not a “raw console” sound like a JHS Crayon or something. Also it is VERY midrange. That’s its whole raison d'etre of course but reading the manual helps you know that noon is NOT flat mids. You can dial them back and get a more even mids sound but that will be towards 9 o’clock and lower. Midday is like a typical TS. But in all a very versatile pedal with great feel. Only knock I can give it is the price but that is what it is with Origin.
I’m also fond of the JHS Orange Peel v4 for the role i spoke of - slightly gritty compressed, buffered pedal to sit between fuzzes and other drives.
How are planning to use it?

Hey there! Yes I have one and its very good. Personally wanted something right after fuzz, buffered, mildly compressed and can give some drive of its own. The list of pedals that can do that well is kinda short. It takes fuzzes really well and runs at 18v internally so it has excellent feel dynamic range. Things to note - Its drive is definitely on the smooth side. Not a bad thing but not a “raw console” sound like a JHS Crayon or something. Also it is VERY midrange. That’s its whole raison d'etre of course but reading the manual helps you know that noon is NOT flat mids. You can dial them back and get a more even mids sound but that will be towards 9 o’clock and lower. Midday is like a typical TS. But in all a very versatile pedal with great feel. Only knock I can give it is the price but that is what it is with Origin.
I’m also fond of the JHS Orange Peel v4 for the role i spoke of - slightly gritty compressed, buffered pedal to sit between fuzzes and other drives.
How are planning to use it?
Cool. That's actually a main use I have for it. It arrived yesterday, but haven't had a chance to plug it in yet (and used prices are actually a reasonable saving - snagged mine for $210).

Had a little time to play with this yesterday. I WISH it had some sort of bass knob to complement the hi cut knob.

Drive, for me, leads to a bit of a muddy mess on the 800 setting, but works a treat on the higher frequency settings.

Cleaner settings iwith just a hint of drive do a GREAT job giving a blackface style amp the warmth, intimacy and immediacy that a mid-forward tweed amp has.

Haven't stacked it with anything else, yet, but expect the higher frequency settings to work really well behind filthy pedals.

Worth $300-something? If I were all in on an analog rig, probably. The ability to so useably convert blackpanel amp to a tweed-ish amp and sound soooo intimate is pretty powerful. In my current digital enviro, it'd be a hard sell. A lot of what it is really good at could be done by just changing amp models.

At sub-$250 I'm not looking at it thinking "ugh, what a waste!" and given that I always MIGHT go buy an amp of some sort, will probably hold onto it.

Back