Option Paralysis | My Next Delay Pedal...?

Which would you choose?

• Way Huge Supa Puss (USED)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • DOD Rubberneck (USED)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Catalinbread Belle Epoch (NEW)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Or you can source an Howard/Nicholas era pedal. :idk
They do pop up some times, not even excessively expensive, at least over here many folks don't seem to know all the geeky details... ;)

Anyhow, the BE is a Howard-era circuit, so I decided to try and get my hands on that one, no matter the goings-on in their office.

In other news, my partner will be away for the weekend, what do I do?

Invite buddies, listen to music and get wasted two nights in a row?

Orrrr rather: tell no one, buy the Belle Epoch and tweak/play all day + have the occasional beer + cook dinner by 11 PM, only to go all grumpy and stressed out before she comes back, because all I did was play guitar and ignore my social life?

Ugh, choices... :D

Well, got the Belle Epoch today, and upon arriving home, I "accidentally" spent about an hour noodling. By far the best delay I ever had, very musical and intuitive. :D

I was running it at 18V and got good headroom, which is crucial, since I'm gonna sandwich it between my parallel overdrive/fuzz blend and a Model T preamp.

Tomorrow I'll unscrew the bottom plate and mess with the gain trim and TB vs. "always on"/trails setting.

Really liking it so far. Sounds 100% like expected.

PS: Needed to get a riser though. Second row stomping can get messy, and the Aqua Puss (that it'll replace) is a tall one.

A few deals. That Talisman is a killer Plate Reverb. :love

Just picked up a used one off of Reverb and think it may be defective? I have the internal switch set to true bypass (the only way I want to use the pedal) and I can't get unity output with the volume maxed at either 9 or 18 volts. Pedal bypassed works as expected - unity volume with the pedal off. With it on (and the volume at max) no matter where I set everything else I'm getting a noticeable volume dip at 18 volts and a ridiculous one at 9 volts. Ares loop send > Talisman > loop return. Thanks for any tips.

Just picked up a used one off of Reverb and think it may be defective? I have the internal switch set to true bypass (the only way I want to use the pedal) and I can't get unity output with the volume maxed at either 9 or 18 volts. Pedal bypassed works as expected - unity volume with the pedal off. With it on (and the volume at max) no matter where I set everything else I'm getting a noticeable volume dip at 18 volts and a ridiculous one at 9 volts. Ares loop send > Talisman > loop return. Thanks for any tips.
That sounds weird. Is there an internal trim you could adjust? I'd try and reach out directly to Catalinbread.

I’ve decided on the Deluxe as I want the tap tempo. That actually wasn’t as painful as I was expecting it to be (picking a delay). I still need to find something just for reverse delay that’ll sit at the end of my chain, but what did it for the Epoch was seeing EJ’s board with like 3 of them on there. Now I need to start figuring out modulation and getting one expression pedal/tap tempo working with everything on the board.

I’ve decided on the Deluxe as I want the tap tempo. That actually wasn’t as painful as I was expecting it to be (picking a delay). I still need to find something just for reverse delay that’ll sit at the end of my chain, but what did it for the Epoch was seeing EJ’s board with like 3 of them on there. Now I need to start figuring out modulation and getting one expression pedal/tap tempo working with everything on the board.
The BED would be overkill in my use case, but I'm pretty sure it's a stellar unit!

Even though the honeymoon is over, I'm still loving my standard BE, the headroom at 18V is just unbelievable. I'm running the preamp always-on for a very slight boost, and the delay itself set to the shortest single-repeat slapback it'll do. Sounds absolutely wonderful.

I'm feeding it a strong signal, and running the whole package right into a high-headroom preamp. With the clarity of the BE things stay focused, with some sparkle and chime on top.

That sounds weird. Is there an internal trim you could adjust? I'd try and reach out directly to Catalinbread.

Strange. I took it out of the loop and put it between the Fryette load box and the Samson power amp and it works perfectly. It's actually better having it there anyway so all's cool. :beer

Strange. I took it out of the loop and put it between the Fryette load box and the Samson power amp and it works perfectly. It's actually better having it there anyway so all's cool. :beer
Weird. Sounds like the loop is the culprit then? Have you experienced similar behaviour with other pedals and that specific amp loop?

Weird. Sounds like the loop is the culprit then? Have you experienced similar behaviour with other pedals and that specific amp loop?

Nope. I've tried multiple delays and even a different reverb unit with zero issues. And again, with the Talisman switched off (true bypass) the signal level was fine. Weird.

im no help, i usually ask for help you guys here :)

Im a simple guy, got myself Tc flashback ive set it to tape delay and its been there ever since :sofa
I'm pretty much the same with delay too, and I lean more to the analog and tape styles. I have a TC flashback Alter Ego that does pretty much all I need it to. Also have a Moog MF delay if I need the real deal analog but it has sat unused for a while now.

I'm pretty much the same with delay too, and I lean more to the analog and tape styles. I have a TC flashback Alter Ego that does pretty much all I need it to. Also have a Moog MF delay if I need the real deal analog but it has sat unused for a while now.

hahah that makes 2 of us.... I dont even change amp settings.... im one trick pony .... all I know/care is thrash hahahaha Ive set the amp and i leave it there... Bridge pick up. vol max tone off.. lets go...... lol my band mate ( an other guitarist trying to get me use neck pick up for soloing) but i cant be arsed switching selector during performance. :sofa

I would like to tes new thing but it requires ££££ which i dont have as i like to :) before Flshback i had artec delay for years..... seemed ok but needed something better... now flashback dose all i want :)

hahah that makes 2 of us.... I dont even change amp settings.... im one trick pony .... all I know/care is thrash hahahaha Ive set the amp and i leave it there... Bridge pick up. vol max tone off.. lets go...... lol my band mate ( an other guitarist trying to get me use neck pick up for soloing) but i cant be arsed switching selector during performance. :sofa

I would like to tes new thing but it requires ££££ which i dont have as i like to :) before Flshback i had artec delay for years..... seemed ok but needed something better... now flashback dose all i want :)
The flashback is very solid and just gets the job done. (y)
I've had mine for years now.

The Artec SE analog delay? Hey, that was my first delay pedal back in 2005 or something!

Wasn't too shabby at all for 40€ if I recall correctly. Their parametric EQ is a sleeper. ;)

The Artec SE analog delay? Hey, that was my first delay pedal back in 2005 or something!

Wasn't too shabby at all for 40€ if I recall correctly. Their parametric EQ is a sleeper. ;)
yeap, thats the one :clint i still have it... They make good pedals for low price.....

Back