Option Paralysis | My Next Delay Pedal...?

Which would you choose?

• Way Huge Supa Puss (USED)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • DOD Rubberneck (USED)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Catalinbread Belle Epoch (NEW)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

dronerstone

Roadie
So, here we go again...

For unknown reasons, I've been gassing hard AF about getting a replacement for my mkII Aqua Puss.

As a huge fan of QOTSA/Homme, I do lust after that clear, yet warm sound of the SIB Echo Drive, but that's another story - they've reached unaffordable status at this point.

Anyhow, I've since narrowed it down to three particular units, but I'm unsure which one to get. Thinking about this day and night, of course, and I can't wait to literally throw money at someone, tbh. :D We all know that feeling...

Specific requirements:

- HEAPS of headroom/clarity
- around 800 ms (or more) available time
- gain/tone knobs for the repeats
- trails/spillover
- tap tempo isn't necessary, but a nice bonus
- budget is around 200€

Any experiences with the ones listed in the poll?

Which one would you choose, and why?

Other options to consider? Feel free to name them. ;)

Thanks in advance!!! Cheers guys

What is it that you're wanting from the gain/tone knobs for the repeats?

Or to put it another way - if the repeats were voiced to your satisfaction from the start, would you need a gain/tone knob? What would the perfect repeats sound like? Or are you planning for different voicings for different songs?

Last edited:
No wrong answer here. Have had all 3 at one time or another and they are each really good.

That EP-Preamp in the Belle Epoch is really cool if you play clean to edge of break up a lot.

I prefer the Deluxe Belle Epoch, but then we are talking $200+ used. :idk

Used Supa Puss for $150 or so is one of the great delay deals on the market.

Thanks for the replies so far!

To those who have played a Supa Puss... how musical will it get, and how's the headroom?

I love the mkII Aqua Puss for short, single-repeat slapback, but as soon as I turn it up a notch or play around with self-oscillation, I'm not a big fan of that cheap-ish "clang" to the repeats. They're too bright, sterile -sounding, which is something not present in the (unobtainium) OG Aqua Puss.

You have a both Gain and Tone controls for the repeats. Can get as saturated and clangy as you like, or
as murky and soft.

:beer

By most accounts, the rubberneck is the bee's knees. I should have picked one up when they were cheaper. I like the idea of having an effects loop for the delays.

Yeah, I really like the rubberneck. It's a very interesting pedal and it sounds cool. That said, Demos of the Supa puss look amazing, I'd probably chose based on which controls/ options you thought you'd enjoy the best.

The more I read into this topic, the more I believe I've already subconsciously decided to give the Belle Epoch a shot...

It's a great pedal. :beer

Recording Level, Sustain, and Mix controls are super interactive. Can easily get into self-oscillation if you push that Rec Level
too high---which also adds some saturation to the repeats.

In our super saturated delay pedal market a lot of people forget/overlook how much anticipation there was for that
pedal when it was being designed, and then first released. Get an EP3 tape emulation for under $200. :banana

The CB Echorec is another cool option. Has a Tone control for the repeats unlike the BE.

A few deals. That Talisman is a killer Plate Reverb. :love

It's a great pedal. :beer

Recording Level, Sustain, and Mix controls are super interactive. Can easily get into self-oscillation if you push that Rec Level
too high---which also adds some saturation to the repeats.

In our super saturated delay pedal market a lot of people forget/overlook how much anticipation there was for that
pedal when it was being designed, and then first released. Get an EP3 tape emulation for under $200. :banana

The CB Echorec is another cool option. Has a Tone control for the repeats unlike the BE.

A few deals. That Talisman is a killer Plate Reverb. :love

True about Catalinbread, it seems they're past their heyday at this point though.

I've been hesitant about them ever since the Howard situation, tbh.

Their best and most innovative pedals were definitely released prior to that.

That was a tragic, tragic shitshow. Still guts me to this day to think about it all. Everyone
knew what Nick wanted who was close to him, but he had no will. Went into probate
and there was really no other option. I am friends with Nick's fiancee---who he was engaged
to when he passed so suddenly. Still feels like a punch to the gut to know what happened,
and how those closest to him, and who he loved the most, got absolutely fucked by a
fucking parasite.

I want to vomit. :barf

Back