Ollo Audio USC (unit specific correction) eq sw via WavesNX

fretworn

Rock Star
This seems pretty cool… I don’t know if anybody else here uses ollo audio headphones. I have a pair of 5.1x

Apparently they have a database of every headphone they’ve ever made with all the EQ curves… These are hand tuned drivers/headphones.

IMG_0536.jpeg

Now, they’ve released EQ correction SW in concert w Waves, specific to your headphones +/-1dB.

They state that other software correction only manages to +/-3 dB

It’s in my cart… Not a huge fan of waves, but specific correction software seems compelling.

OK I pulled the trigger since it’s headphone unit specific … I’m chasing a particular problem… Let’s see if this helps.

Looks like I have to wait until they build my specific EQ curve. Not unexpected.

People seem to like VSX, and this is supposed to be that on steroids.

Ok Waves NX installed w the eq curve … unable at the moment to get it to work outside of the DAW (so I could really test that EQ curve as much as I wish.)

But the NX rooms are pretty cool… Interesting to flip back-and-forth between the speaker sets especially like an ns10 to a main.

Headtracking via camera not fully working but unimportant to me.

Will be definitely interesting to do a mix here

At the Frackle forum there is a thread about headphone choice, which has several Ollo audio owners/converts chiming in if you want to read their opinions.

They all seem pretty consistent with mine.

Superbly neutral and crisp, with the tightest bass response I’ve ever heard (well, probably tied with some Stax electrostatics I should not have parted with).

My problem is twofold… I can’t hear upper mids very well, and I need to use references more than I already do.

I’m gonna try to find a way to hack my way around poor hearing.

For the record Sonarworks also offers a service where you can send your personal headphones to them to have them measured for specific EQ curves vs using generic ones.

IMO generic correction is more than good enough even for headphones that have severe needs for correction, like the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm headphones I use. They are what I use most of the time and with correction sound nice to my ears, even compared to the "more flat out of the box" Sennheiser HD6XX I prefer to use for guitar with my Axe-Fx 3.

I still won't recommend Sonarworks just due to how buggy their software is on both Windows 10/11 and MacOS.

At the Frackle forum there is a thread about headphone choice, which has several Ollo audio owners/converts chiming in if you want to read their opinions.

They all seem pretty consistent with mine.

Superbly neutral and crisp, with the tightest bass response I’ve ever heard (well, probably tied with some Stax electrostatics I should not have parted with).

My problem is twofold… I can’t hear upper mids very well, and I need to use references more than I already do.

I’m gonna try to find a way to hack my way around poor hearing.
At this point using monitors is not a good option even though I have a few decent pairs. All the recording and mixing I do is through headphones. I've watched a few videos for correction eq with various AKG types, and it's got me thinking. Only gear investment I'll be making in the near future will be monitoring related.

At this point using monitors is not a good option even though I have a few decent pairs. All the recording and mixing I do is through headphones. I've watched a few videos for correction eq with various AKG types, and it's got me thinking. Only gear investment I'll be making in the near future will be monitoring related.

Room/speakers emulation is also worth considering if you’re gonna mix/master in phones imo. 👍❤️🙏

I think the interesting part of the Ollo stuff is actually the virtual room and head tracking support. That's kind of what the Boss Waza Air does within the confines of the headphones alone, but being able to have something like that and use it with e.g your favorite modeler would be interesting.

I've tried the Waza Air and thought it was pretty cool, but obviously it's no Fractal. The 3D positioning thing did work though and was fun.

Interested to hear if any of you have tried this sort of stuff.

Does the Waves NX come with all 3 Studios or do you have to select one?

That’s a good question… I messed up and have 3 … But I really like the Germano studios with NS10s then progression up to mains.

I don’t really understand why CLA runs a sub with their NS10s … I mean, I can learn it…?

@fretworn
Fwiw, I pulled the trigger on some new headphones and amp. Ended up getting Beyer Dynamic DT 1990's and the Rupert Neve headphone amp. More than I would normally spend on something like this, but these should last me for a very long time. I haven't had a ton of listening time with them -- only familiar albums. No recording time yet, but so far I'm quite impressed with the soundstage. Head and shoulders over what I'm used to. The old cliché "hearing things I hadn't noticed before" is accurate in this case. I'm quite happy so far.(y)

Early days yet… but for working in headphones, I’m finding the room emulation (waves NX w USC) along with various virtual speakers (w/ occasional checks in mono) helps greatly for mix down.

Short version is… If it sounds good in mono on NS10s, it’s probably gonna sound great in stereo on the mains.

I was amazed at the pop achieved in a new mix

The room emulation is something I'll look into for sure. I have other Waves plugins (although not my favorite vendor) so we'll see.
Is it a CPU hog?

The room emulation is something I'll look into for sure. I have other Waves plugins (although not my favorite vendor) so we'll see.
Is it a CPU hog?

The only reason I went with waves is because ollo audio has a bundle, going with their unit specific eq correction software specific to my individual headset. Flat within +\- 1 dB

Sort of a bougie Slate VSX solution … we will see if it works for me

No idea of the resource pull; m2 apple silica

Back