NPD: Suhr Woodshed compressor

jellodog

Rock Star
A Suhr Woodshed compressor arrived at ⚡ Chateau Jellodog ⚡ last night.

It's a fairly unusual design in that it's one of the few Feed-Forward compressors available in a pedal format. I've only played with it for about an hour so far. I had trialed the Studio FF Compressor for a few days in my FM9 and decided that I would probably enjoy that style of compressor on my analog board.

Background to this is that I have been enjoying the compression and sag of the Princeton Reverb, and I wanted a little of that feeling with the Suhr Bella which is a significantly stouter and more powerful amp, especially at more "reasonable" home volumes. I wanted to add a little subtle compression that was "there" but not overly hyped or unnatural.

Don't have too much more to say about the Woodshed right now and that's not a bad thing. It's really excellent and just works as advertised. It's simple, good quality and I like it!

The important thing to note here is that it does retain transients as advertised, and that it doesn't obviously colour the guitar tone; so it's transparent in that regard. It also has a lot of headroom (internal charge pump to 18v) so you can run it after a drive or whatever.

suhr-woodshed-compressor2.jpg

Last edited:
Played the Woodshed for a couple more hours last night with the Bella. It's a keeper for sure - does only exactly what I want and nothing more.

This pedal rates 5/5 and receives the ✨ Jellodog Seal of Approval ✨ .

seal-of-approval.png

Thanks @Blix for encouraging me to get one last year at TheOtherPlace™. It took me a while, but I got there in the end.

It's a fairly unusual design in that it's one of the few Feed-Forward compressors available in a pedal format. I've only played with it for about an hour so far. I had trialed the Studio FF Compressor for a few days in my FM9 and decided that I would probably enjoy that style of compressor on my analog board.

Background to this is that I have been enjoying the compression and sag of the Princeton Reverb, and I wanted a little of that feeling with the Suhr Bella which is a significantly stouter and more powerful amp, especially at more "reasonable" home volumes. I wanted to add a little subtle compression that was "there" but not overly hyped or unnatural.

Don't have too much more to say about the Woodshed right now and that's not a bad thing. It's really excellent and just works as advertised. It's simple, good quality and I like it!

The important thing to note here is that it does retain transients as advertised, and that it doesn't obviously colour the guitar tone; so it's transparent in that regard. It also has a lot of headroom so you can run it after a drive or whatever.

View attachment 5341
Was recently watching Pete Thorn on TPS and he pretty much had the woodshed on all the time. Sounded great!

The important thing to note here is that it does retain transients as advertised, and that it doesn't obviously colour the guitar tone; so it's transparent in that regard. It also has a lot of headroom (internal charge pump to 18v) so you can run it after a drive or whatever.

View attachment 5341
That’s a great rig right there. I’m not a compressor pedal fan but the Woodshed is one I actually like.

That’s a great rig right there. I’m not a compressor pedal fan but the Woodshed is one I actually like.

I hear ya! Compressors can be a bit much sometimes.

Don't really need a compressor pedal when you have gain or volume! But I'm mostly playing cleanish at home volumes, so it helps in that situation and the Bella is a very firm amp with a solid state rectifier.

I hear ya! Don't really need a compressor pedal when you have gain. But I'm mostly playing cleanish at home volumes, so it helps in that situation and the Bella is a very firm amp with a solid state rectifier.
Yep and some of John’s amps can be a bit on the stiff side. I found the PT15 to be like that but like you said a little compression from a pedal and you’re good to go. Suhr Badger 30 isn’t at all on the stuff side BTW. It’s my favorite amp from him.

@ejecta Aye, in retrospect I would have really loved to have tried the Badger with gain and power scaling. Perhaps that would have been perfect for me. But I've already spent way too much money on gear though, so I will endeavour to wring more juice from the Bella with pedals.

Still... I'll never say never.

Last edited:
@ejecta Aye, in retrospect I would have really loved to have tried the Badger with gain and power scaling. Perhaps that would have been perfect for me. But I've already spent way too much money on gear though, so I will endeavour to wring more juice from the Bella with pedals.

Still... I'll never say never.
Oh totally get too much on gear thing. I'm doing another purge as we speak. Yeah if you ever get a chance try the Badger. Kinda a Vox-ish Marshally hybrid thing but not really like either totally. It's really it's own thing with very nice chime when rolling back the volume on the guitar. Crazy enough as much I've traveled the Suhr world I haven't tried a Bella but the PT15 is supposed to have it as it's clean channel and I really liked the clean on the PT 15.

Back