Now my pedalboard is heavier then my amp ;-)

AFKAEjay

Roadie
D1818E60-5A15-499B-A127-03D4C1145A63.jpeg

Not to shabby board even if I say so myself ;-)

Spend a couple of hours today on it…added the effectrode blackbird, and put a HB 100w solid state poweramp under the elevated part of the board.
So…I got me a powered board, preamploaded: Revival drive for the overdrive sounds, blackbird for the cleans, each of them their own eq/boost/compression pedal, all midi/relay/loop controlled by the es5/GT core, gt core for IRs/verb/soloboost/globaleq. 2 knobs on the upper right control volume and delay level.

It goes into poweramps/returns of amps..stereo if I can.
Tonight I’m gonna test the HB poweramp at a low volume gig…fingers crossed im not gonna regret that ;-)

View attachment 5707

Spend a couple of hours today on it…added the effectrode blackbird, and put a HB 100w solid state poweramp under the elevated part of the board.
So…I got me a powered board, preamploaded: Revival drive for the overdrive sounds, blackbird for the cleans, each of them their own eq/boost/compression pedal, all midi/relay/loop controlled by the es5/GT core, gt core for IRs/verb/soloboost/globaleq. 2 knobs on the upper right control volume and delay level.

Tonight I’m gonna test the HB poweramp at a low volume gig…fingers crossed im not gonna regret that ;-)
Is it the HB GPA-100?

View attachment 5707

Very nice! How do you like the Revival Drive?

Speaking of weight, I bought the Blackstar St. James in order to have a lightweight amp but when you add the weight of the FM9 it weighs almost as much as my Hot Rod Deluxe.

How do you like the Revival Drive?
I like it a lot! I use it in “preamp mode”, and “bypass” gives a clean preamp. So…i use(ed) it as a 3 channel preamp.
The 2 channels core sound works very well for me (confirmed “works live”), love the ghosting!!…adds “mess“ that fills the spectrum, helpfull in trio settings.
2 challenges with this pedal, it’s trebly..which can be mitigated with the highshelf/highcut. And..no monkeyproof tonestack that allows idiotproof quick adjustmen…hence the reason it got the bloom in front, which has a 3 band eq. The bloom function adds a gain level..so I have 4 levels of gain on tap.

The clean channel (pedal in bypass) lacks tone control all together, and is on the sterile/stiff side of the spectrum…hence the reason its got the Zenith in front of it. Still a bit stiff, that’s why I added the blackbird. The challenge with switching between blackbird/revival is that the blackbird tends towards darker/bassy…I need to get those in the same zone…so I can fix whatever the gig throws at me with a global eq ;-)

playing the gpa 100 didn’t take away my bias against solidstate. Usually I use the powersection of a Laney IRT studio at this gig. Last night I had a harder time getting it right. Highs where a bit uncomfortable, drive sounds where stiffer, seems like it was harder to blend in well. At the end it sounded ok I guess…but seems it was more unforgiving compared to a tube powersection..so I needed to work harder. Guess I’ll try it again to confirm it wasn’t just “the night“/my ears/my mood.

playing the gpa 100 didn’t take away my bias against solidstate....seems it was more unforgiving compared to a tube powersection.

What about using something like the Fryette PS-100? It does, weigh more, takes up more space, and costs more but wouldn't it address your stated concerns?

I really like mine but have been hesitant to use it playing out due to the weight, that's why I got a BAM 200 but I definitely prefer the PS-100 for tone and feel.

playing the gpa 100 didn’t take away my bias against solidstate. Usually I use the powersection of a Laney IRT studio at this gig. Last night I had a harder time getting it right. Highs where a bit uncomfortable, drive sounds where stiffer, seems like it was harder to blend in well. At the end it sounded ok I guess…but seems it was more unforgiving compared to a tube powersection..so I needed to work harder. Guess I’ll try it again to confirm it wasn’t just “the night“/my ears/my mood.

Meh, that's what I expected. Lots of reviews out there say the GPA is alright and way portable, but sounds sterile/stiff at times, and the EQ seems "off".

What about using something like the Fryette PS-100? It does, weigh more, takes up more space, and costs more but wouldn't it address your stated concerns?

I really like mine but have been hesitant to use it playing out due to the weight, that's why I got a BAM 200 but I definitely prefer the PS-100 for tone and feel.
I’m sure the ps 100 would work fine! But…the Laney did also, which is light and easy. I also have a Mesa 20/20 collecting dust, and an Engl 830/50 in my mancave..which I could pull if I need nuclear volumes ;-)
For now I’ll use what I got ;-)

Meh, that's what I expected. Lots of reviews out there say the GPA is alright and way portable, but sounds sterile/stiff at times, and the EQ seems "off".
To me the gpa is fine …for solidstate amp ;-)..and my impression in line with any solidstate solution I ever played.
EQ seems ok to me.
For cleans it was perfectly fine btw. It’s not going of my board…maybe it gets a demotion to being “clean gigs only”/one side of stereo/backu.

I’m sure the ps 100 would work fine! But…the Laney did also, which is light and easy. I also have a Mesa 20/20 collecting dust, and an Engl 830/50 in my mancave..which I could pull if I need nuclear volumes ;-)
For now I’ll use what I got ;-)

I hear you.

I have a Randall RT2/50 with a quad of late distortion SED Winged =C= 6L6s that has the option of 6L6s on one channel and EL34s on the other, switchable by MIDI. It sounds absolutely wonderful with my Fractal gear but it weighs too much to haul around so that's why I bought the BAM 200. Unfortunately I've seen a bunch of posts about the BAM overheating and self destructing so I'm hesitant to use it, even for a backup.

52772129486_9dab591e73_c.jpg

I hear you.

I have a Randall RT2/50 with a quad of late distortion SED Winged =C= 6L6s that has the option of 6L6s on one channel and EL34s on the other, switchable by MIDI. It sounds absolutely wonderful with my Fractal gear but it weighs too much to haul around so that's why I bought the BAM 200. Unfortunately I've seen a bunch of posts about the BAM overheating and self destructing so I'm hesitant to use it, even for a backup.

52772129486_9dab591e73_c.jpg
Hard to beat beasts like that :)
I got my 50/50 in my mancave, 2 cabs…and a mixer in front…my Kemper hooked up to it, an old digitech 1101 for students, and super easy to hook my Pedalboard to it.

Hard to beat beasts like that :)
I got my 50/50 in my mancave, 2 cabs…and a mixer in front…my Kemper hooked up to it, an old digitech 1101 for students, and super easy to hook my Pedalboard to it.

It must sound glorious when you crank it.

I like to gig with a 1x12 combo for convenience but nothing beats a big rig to put an ear to ear grin on your face.

It must sound glorious when you crank it.

I like to gig with a 1x12 combo for convenience but nothing beats a big rig to put an ear to ear grin on your face.
Tbh..I never even played a 412…and like to keep it that way. Same reason I don’t do drugs: I’m sure I’d like it ;-)

Ever tried 2 combos? to me that’s 1+1 = 4..sound from different directions does a lot. I use a superchamp modded with a poweramp input ..next to the stjames…a nice swim in sound ;-)

Back