Noiseless Single Coil

Are you doing Area 58's straight across or just in the neck/middle? I had 250k pots in my Strat and Tele with a no-load tone recently using Dimarzio Areas in both. Actually thought it was too bright. With the tone on, it was better but maybe a touch dark. Might be worth trying 250k volume and 500k tone.

Also, I need to find a different potentiometer brand. I swear I've replaced 3-4 CTS pots in the last couple years that went bad within a year. Just yesterday I noticed my volume pot was cutting out on my LP, and I just replaced the damn thing over the summer for the same reason.
Yes CTS pots are not what they used to be. Some high end builders have started using the full size Alpha pots and IME they’re not much different. Certainly not worse than Bournes . But the alpha mini pots are still garbage.

Are you doing Area 58's straight across or just in the neck/middle?
Neck/middle, leaving the Zexcoil JB in the bridge.

All their pickups are noiseless.
Duh, of course they are, it says it right on their emblem/logo :columbo

A fresh pair of Zexcoils could take a few weeks, whereas the Areas will be here in a few days while I have time off to install them. If the Areas don't work out I might go the other direction :popcorn

Yes CTS pots are not what they used to be. Some high end builders have started using the full size Alpha pots and IME they’re not much different. Certainly not worse than Bournes . But the alpha mini pots are still garbage.
I bought some FLEOR pots from Amazon :bag

Dimarzio Areas sound pretty decent. Fralin split blades are the ones that interest me most right now for preserving the high end of the vintage Strat sound, haven’t had a chance to try them yet though. I’m not sure I can get past the aesthetics though.

D

As I'm still looking for noiseless "single coils", I thought I'd lurk in this thread before starting the new one.
Right now, the guitar to be treated is a Schecter Nick Johnston HSS (the cheaper version). I already slapped some Fenders in that I had on the shelve (I think they're V2 or even V1), and while they're pretty great once I'm using driven tones (even just slightly driven tones), they're rather lackluster on completely clean sounds. I also have a set of Kinmans (no better at all) and various truly old-ish OBLs and even a Kent Armstrong. No cigar, out of those, the Fenders are doing the best job by far.

So, what I'm looking for would be something to add at least a little more "chime" if you will. And I really only need that for the neck position, could even slap a true single coil into the middle slot as I hardly ever use the inbetween positions outside of clean territory.

Anyhow...

Believe it or not the ones in the ultra are a marked improvement over the original noiseless pickups from years ago.

I played one of those in a shop a while ago. Pretty good. As good as that would absolutely be sufficient for my needs. But AFAIK, they're not available as aftermarket PUs yet, correct? Please correct me in case I'm wrong because I might be all over them in that case.

You went right to the finest guitar solo of the last ten years, didn'tya?

I love that one massively. But: also from Wilson/Govan, did you listen to the solo in "Drive Home"? For me, so far it's the solo of the century.
Starts at around 5:00 but IMO it doesn't hurt to listen to the entire song.

Sends shivers down my spine each time (and I'm not even much into widdly-widdly guitars these days).

noiseless singles never have the same kinda chime as a conventional single coil. i have that same schecter nick johnston and i like it, but if you want more chime, i would suggest switching to a conventional single coil.

Back