NGD Ibanez 7420FM

pipelineaudio

Shredder
I thought you guys were being cork sniffers but DAMN! This thing is way worse than the cheapest Douglas model from Rondo.

Trem is crap, routing is garbage, fit is terrible. Locking nut was GLUED ON!!!! Holy guacamole this was the biggest pile of crap ever.

The neck seems OK, I'm going to try and stick it on my Agile 727 body. What a piece of junk, I feel like an idiot

The 300-400 harley bentons and Donners murder this thing! Ibanez how could you? I just put some fishmans in a HB 8 string fanned fret for someone and that guitar was a super solid work of art.

Locking nut was GLUED ON!!!!
Excited Season 3 GIF by Paramount+

Best budget 7-string is the Jackson JS22-7. But, QC is a bit hit or miss. With the budget Ibanez 7s it's all miss. Surprised you like the neck, they usually file the fret ends to razor sharpness so you need a tetanus shot after every riff ya play.

I remember those, they were an earlier model if I remember right. LoTRS.

Shoulda just held out for a 7620!!!

So crazy, given how many excellent guitars there were with awesome QC at a lower price point at the time, why would Ibanez have stooped so low? ESP could do it, Dean did it, hell, Ibanez's GIO lines even did it....WTF with this POS?

So crazy, given how many excellent guitars there were with awesome QC at a lower price point at the time, why would Ibanez have stooped so low? ESP could do it, Dean did it, hell, Ibanez's GIO lines even did it....WTF with this POS?

I think those were a Musician’s Friend exclusive, I’m not sure why that’s sticking out in my head now, but it is. The glued on lock nut is definitely an oddity I’ve never seen on any Ibanez and have to wonder if that was a post-purchase ‘mod’ or not.

Outside of swapping the trem out for a Gotoh and properly attaching the nut, anything else wrong with it?

Outside of swapping the trem out for a Gotoh and properly attaching the nut, anything else wrong with it?
Proprietary tremolo post spacing, so no easy swap to another tremolo, though it has awesome locking posts

Tremolo spring angle is bad so springs pop out at certain angles

Horrid routing and finishing, like in the neck pocket

Super thin wood in the control cavity, poor routing there as well

I'm gonna stick the neck which I do actually love (hoping the truss rod is decent) onto an Agile interceptor body and gonna put the interceptor neck on this body

My flabbergastedness really just comes from the fact that thru World and other makers, so many companies made excellent guitars for peanuts, while this thing is a total piece of junk. Ibanez's Mikro line of guitars: PERFECT. Ibanez GIO guitars, cheap features but PERFECT. Ibanez SGR Basses....super cheap, but way way way more than perfect. This thing, and any affordable ibanez lately, barf

I will say, this seems to be a 2014 and maybe one of their earliest indonesia guitars and could be way better now. I have many students with guitars rebranded to whatever company from World's new Indonesia factories and they are dream instruments

Ibanez's Mikro line of guitars: PERFECT. Ibanez GIO guitars, cheap features but PERFECT. Ibanez SGR Basses....super cheap, but way way way more than perfect. This thing, and any affordable ibanez lately, barf
If truth in advertising were a thing, this would be the perfect copy for the 2024 Ibanez Catalog. :rofl

Proprietary tremolo post spacing, so no easy swap to another tremolo, though it has awesome locking posts

Tremolo spring angle is bad so springs pop out at certain angles

Horrid routing and finishing, like in the neck pocket

Super thin wood in the control cavity, poor routing there as well

I'm gonna stick the neck which I do actually love (hoping the truss rod is decent) onto an Agile interceptor body and gonna put the interceptor neck on this body

My flabbergastedness really just comes from the fact that thru World and other makers, so many companies made excellent guitars for peanuts, while this thing is a total piece of junk. Ibanez's Mikro line of guitars: PERFECT. Ibanez GIO guitars, cheap features but PERFECT. Ibanez SGR Basses....super cheap, but way way way more than perfect. This thing, and any affordable ibanez lately, barf

I will say, this seems to be a 2014 and maybe one of their earliest indonesia guitars and could be way better now. I have many students with guitars rebranded to whatever company from World's new Indonesia factories and they are dream instruments

Hmm, I seem to recall those coming out in the very late 90’s/early 00’s, but I also stopped paying attention to a lot of what Ibanez was doing once they stopped using the Edge/LoPro as a standard on all their good guitars.

Hahahaha and it’s an S, of course that route is going to be thin, McD’s burgers are thicker than those bodies. :rofl

Hmm, I seem to recall those coming out in the very late 90’s/early 00’s, but I also stopped paying attention to a lot of what Ibanez was doing once they stopped using the Edge/LoPro as a standard on all their good guitars.

Hahahaha and it’s an S, of course that route is going to be thin, McD’s burgers are thicker than those bodies. :rofl
They are back on anything good.

Scalloping it now. I don’t think the “rosewood” is even a hardwood. I’ve scalloped a billion guitars. Only time over ever seen this is on a softwood ukulele fretboard that was stained to look like hardwood

Attachments

• IMG_6147.jpeg
    IMG_6147.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Why so deep?
IMG_1838.jpeg

You don’t feel the wood at all on this. I refretted it in Jescar 58118 stainless though.

Probably have to leave for work now but next will be the fret leveling. Super happy with the scallops. This is the first time I’ve done it with rasps instead of only metal files and or dremel contour sander.
IMG_6150.jpeg

The final video for now, pretty happy with this guitar now! Lunimlays, glow in the dark fretboard dots, new saddle intonation lock screws, even a set of electronic options that some of the Duncan groups said could not be done, fishman battery, just waiting on the Schaller Sureclaw

Now I actually have to...gasp....play it

Back