Nearly 2.5 Million Streams = $$$

TJontheRoad

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
To my own utter amazement, people are listening. Except my accountant. How the f'k am I to pay for all the gear now lol.

Nearly 2.5 Million Streams = $25.98

2.5 Mill.jpg

I look at it in a positive light.

That's 2,472,794 potential ears on your art (repeats count, right?). That's a crazy amount of listens!

I'm lucky to get 35 of my Facebook friends to subscribe to my YouTube channel after they've already liked a post with my daughter's song.

I can't even get my own family members to click on a SoundCloud link to give my music just a little time of day.

I've made exactly $0 from my own art since 2014.

Congratulations on your great success, here's to another year of artists getting royally bent over by the upper 1%

BTW, just to be clear, the streaming stat is a total of 76 track releases over 4 years via Distrokid. It wasn't until today I bothered looking at the total. I had no idea what it was.

The most popular stream so far is this blues backing track I recorded 4 years ago.

I look at it in a positive light.

That's 2,472,794 potential ears on your art (repeats count, right?). That's a crazy amount of listens!

I'm lucky to get 35 of my Facebook friends to subscribe to my YouTube channel after they've already liked a post with my daughter's song.

I can't even get my own family members to click on a SoundCloud link to give my music just a little time of day.

I've made exactly $0 from my own art since 2014.

Congratulations on your great success, here's to another year of artists getting royally bent over by the upper 1%
It's very positive in my mind. If I can make a difference, an impact on the scene, that makes me very happy and invigorated to keep going on to the next thing.

Leave a review after, if you could. I’m interested in that.

It may take me a hot minute. :LOL:

I am usually working on 2 or 3 books at a time, and sometimes it takes me months to make it
through just one. I am a ruminator, and like to chew on the thoughts that ideas from someone else's
hand inspires within me. I especially like historical facts and accuracy, and how accidents and
happenstance end up gifting us with what we all tend to assume were givens. Like how sampling rates
were decided for CDs, and how and when mp3s came to be, and how many other competitors the
reigning mp3 codices crushed. It's all so damn interesting to me. :beer

I especially like historical facts and accuracy, and how accidents and
happenstance end up gifting us with what we all tend to assume were givens. Like how sampling rates
were decided for CDs, and how and when mp3s came to be, and how many other competitors the
reigning mp3 codices crushed. It's all so damn interesting to me.
I need some rec's, man!

The one above Drew wanted a review for. I just started it tonight. Off to a good beginning. Easy
style to read and follow.

And then this one which is UTTERLY amazing. It blew my mind every time I cracked it open. I just
finished it tonight. I savored this book. So many interesting details about the history of recorded
music (and our illusions and delusions about it!) that it made my head ferment. In a good way. :LOL:

1704170579340.png

Sorry for the derail, TJ. :sofa

Sorry for the derail, TJ. :sofa

No worries. Historical stories about things like this are also fascinating to me. Stuff like the how the QWERTY keyboard became the most used and standard or the protocols for TV and video.

In music, the advent of stereo broadcasting coincided with the rise of bands who made great use of it like Pink Floyd.

But what has streaming done? Dare I say very little.

To really rile up the natives, we used to get paid $4 per CD/Cassette sold. If you got $4 for (whatever the math is that takes your posted numbers and considers the number of listens to equal an album's worth of music), you could fund TGF's greatest dreams in perpetuity.

Granted, our label ripped us off and after selling 27,000 copies in the first week we netted a fraction of what we should have gotten, so at least now you're getting kissed on the neck before taking it in the shorts. :idk

But what has streaming done? Dare I say very little.

Well, it seems like the happenstance nature of the mp3 was an Oppenheimer like blast in
the Nevada desert that changed the entire world, and devastated an industry irreparably.

And there isn't any going back, is there?

To really rile up the natives, we used to get paid $4 per CD/Cassette sold. If you got $4 for (whatever the math is that takes your posted numbers and considers the number of listens to equal an album's worth of music), you could fund TGF's greatest dreams in perpetuity.

Granted, our label ripped us off and after selling 27,000 copies in the first week we netted a fraction of what we should have gotten, so at least now you're getting kissed on the neck before taking it in the shorts. :idk

Oh yeah! The label has a lot of imaginary "costs" to offset, I mean profits to accumulate, before the artists
get their cut. :facepalm

I published a couple of books in my distant past, and I was lucky enough to negotiate a less than 10% royalty.
It blew my F'ing mind. I started to ponder the quantity of books I would have to sell to even make a decent
annual income. It wasn't going to happen.

The irony is that if you are already a massive commodity, and known entity (Mariah, Whitney, Stephen King, etc. ),
then your royalties are significantly more. Then you have leverage. Just getting your foot in the door you have
no leverage and taking a bath seems to part of the entrance fee required to even approach the possibility of success.

Back