NDSP Quad Cortex

Welp, I'm back in the Cortex camp.

Needed something that could be easy to edit on the fly & accommodate 2 guitars & vocal.

The FM3 I got recently proved too tough to edit on the fly & I could only model 1 full signal path through it (1 amp block limit).

Spent ~40 minutes with the thing and shot 3 direct (using a loadbox) Neural Captures of my Ceriatone King Kong 100W.

While not as good as NAM, they turned out pretty darn good & serviceable. Missing just a smidge of lowend but I can make up for it easily with the EQ after the fact.

Cortex Control is pretty good too - I like how it behaves & that I can finally use the QC on the floor and edit on the desktop.

Gonna take it to loud band practice this evening & put it through its paces.

Needed something that could be easy to edit on the fly & accommodate 2 guitars & vocal.

The FM3 I got recently proved too tough to edit on the fly & I could only model 1 full signal path through it (1 amp block limit).

Spent ~40 minutes with the thing and shot 3 direct (using a loadbox) Neural Captures of my Ceriatone King Kong 100W.

While not as good as NAM, they turned out pretty darn good & serviceable. Missing just a smidge of lowend but I can make up for it easily with the EQ after the fact.

Cortex Control is pretty good too - I like how it behaves & that I can finally use the QC on the floor and edit on the desktop.

100% re: multiple signal paths. It would be more fair to compare QC with FM9 on this point (as well as price), but then there’s the question of form factor.

This many positive things about the QC in a few pages? Quick, someone find some controversy!

Without Me GIF by Eminem

This many positive things about the QC in a few pages? Quick, someone find some controversy!

Without Me GIF by Eminem
Give them time , right now I am just waiting to see if the hit that June 30th update deadline
That will actually be a milestone because I don’t think they have ever been on time or without problems yet
So I am staying cautiously optimistic

Nice. Are you sharing it?

So, I'm back in love with the QC. I tried making some captures of my Lichtlaerm Audio Prometheus both through my real ENGL 4x12 XXL and direct with a loadbox and I was blown away by the accuracy. Since I have 65 amps or so I'm now definitely planning on doing more amps soon. Anyway, you can hear the results /clips in this video:

Damn, that amp sounds amazing.

That is a bit... But if I'm being honest, I get sticker shock looking at just about any decent tube amp these days.
Oh definitely. It's not cheap.

Honestly my biggest concern would be where do I take this amp if it malfunctions? I don't want to make it seem like it's not a tube amp at heart but it isn't your run of the mill 5150.

And shipping it overseas? Ehhhhh

Back