NAD: EVH 50W Stealth

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
As this week's Do Something submission was rendering, I had time to unbox.
20240123_124709.jpg

20240123_124816.jpg

Someone knows how to pack!
20240123_124903.jpg
20240123_124905.jpg
20240123_125357.jpg

Smells good!

Some scuffs on the foot controller but I'm probably not even going to use it. Came with an IEC cable and an absurdly long speaker cable.

Broke my own rule and have a T stack:
20240123_132233.jpg

Sounds good with and without my pedalboard in the loop. I don't get the whole overgained blue channel take. Is mine undergained? Haha, doubt it. Sounds similar to the one I tried at GC. Gonna figure out all the bells and whistles next - MIDI, line out, etc.

Figured out why it sounded fine in 4CM. Loop isn't active until you plug the footswitch in and hit the EFFECTS switch. Looks like I'll be using the footswitch after all. Treble loss detected. Its nice to be able to A/B the loop to hear the tone suck and how to overcome it with EQ if needed.

It was a bitch to figure out the MIDI implementation, especially when the Paint Audio MIDI Mate decided to not work again :cuss

Got the MIDI figured out with the only MIDI cable I have, a measley 3 footer :facepalm. Looks like I'll be using the footswitch for a little while longer.

20240123_153037.jpg

Hooked up the Helix Floor in 4CM and no tone suck. EXT AMP jack created a hum so again, using the EVH footswitch to change channels and so far so good. Using the Stupor OD to boost the Red channel with gates up front and in the loop, compressor and phaser for the clean channel, switchless wah, dual BBD delay and plate reverb. IR on the preamp for some easy recording, still need to dig into the headphone output.

It's not 100% mute. You can hear a faint high frequency rattle but ko real volume.

Also - you can change channels using Midi - which you can tie to snapshots. It's pretty easy and works great!
I'll have to wait a little while for a nice long MIDI cable. Shallow Pockets Al found the best price but the lousiest shipping

Hahahaha the red channel is a bit much with the gain, but I’d rather have more on tap that I don’t use than not enough.

Pretty sure mine is set to 11 o’clock and since I don’t have the fancy dual pots, I keep the Blue/Green channel’s Gain between 11-12. I use the Blue channel as the Lead channel and just toss an SD-1 in front of it. I probably use have as much dirt on lead sounds than I do rhythms in general.

Figured out why it sounded fine in 4CM. Loop isn't active until you plug the footswitch in and hit the EFFECTS switch. Looks like I'll be using the footswitch after all. Treble loss detected. Its nice to be able to A/B the loop to hear the tone suck and how to overcome it with EQ if needed.

It was a bitch to figure out the MIDI implementation, especially when the Paint Audio MIDI Mate decided to not work again :cuss

Got the MIDI figured out with the only MIDI cable I have, a measley 3 footer :facepalm. Looks like I'll be using the footswitch for a little while longer.

View attachment 17755

Hooked up the Helix Floor in 4CM and no tone suck. EXT AMP jack created a hum so again, using the EVH footswitch to change channels and so far so good. Using the Stupor OD to boost the Red channel with gates up front and in the loop, compressor and phaser for the clean channel, switchless wah, dual BBD delay and plate reverb. IR on the preamp for some easy recording, still need to dig into the headphone output.
Finally got a 5150III in the Helix :love :cop :knit:rofl

Back