NAD: DSL20HR for DSL40c whattya think?

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I was going to get a headshell for my 40c but a buddy wants to trade me straight up for his DSL20HR. I'm a do it. Both are bone stock so it's not like I put extra into it.

I had a DSL40 combo that was pretty badass. Lots of tones and power in it.

I got an extra bonus! I forgot he's a chain smoker... The tubes warming up reminded me. :sick:
gross james van der beek GIF

I thought they'd be pretty much the same amp but not really at all. Good or bad is TBD but it definitely sounds different than my 40c thats for sure. One good thing so far is way less hiss on the ultra channel than the 40c. I have owned 2 40c's and both had the same hiss when the gain was past noon on the dial. The reverb on this DSL20HR is much more pronounced than the 40c which is eh whatever, I don't use much reverb when I do actually use it so I liked the reverb on the 40c. The 20HR seems to have more gain on tap on the ultra channel while no crunch mode on the classic channel. That works for me considering this amp is pretty much intended to be used in a classic metal tribute so there aren't a whole of in between sounds needed. I can get the classic channel to break up some by diming the volume and controlling overall channel volume with the gain knob so it's all good.

Overall happy so far because I wanted a Marshall in head form and these DSL's deliver the goods if you take the time to learn how to dial them.

Back