Music commitment decisions

metropolis_4

Shredder
I always have a hard time deciding how much gigging to commit myself to…

I’ve got a potential good replacement for my current gig that is ending, but I found out it’s 8 shows a week :oops:

They’re only dark on Tuesday and 2 shows Sat and Sun.

It would be great money, great people, and fun music… but that’s a huge commitment for something that’s not my primary job. Not to mention having a family.

I’ve been playing 4-5 a week for the past couple years almost nonstop. But somehow 8 seems like a lot more. I think it’s the double shows on Sat and Sun that’s bothering me. Giving up weekends would be rough.

A regular day off really is important, especially in the long run.
And keeping touch with the loved ones.

I suppose you’re a bit of a mystery to me, Met. For some reason I always assumed you were a single dude and the theater gigs were your main gig. It wasn’t until recently when you were talking about your work computer that I realized you do something else for a living.

I think I’ve had this image of you in my head for like 3 years now. :rofl

8 shows a week AND a fulltime job? WTF? Are these shows paid so badly you need another job?

No, but my day job pays far better than I’ll ever make playing music, it’s far more stable, and I enjoy it. So I’m not planning to give that up

I suppose you’re a bit of a mystery to me, Met. For some reason I always assumed you were a single dude and the theater gigs were your main gig. It wasn’t until recently when you were talking about your work computer that I realized you do something else for a living.

I think I’ve had this image of you in my head for like 3 years now. :rofl

I used to be a single dude who did music 100% full time for a living. But once I met my wife my priorities shifted and I decided I wanted more stability in my life. So I took on a “day gig” as they call it.

It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I get to do music on my own terms now and it stays fun. Everyone I know doing it full time doesn’t have the luxury of naming their terms; they have to take everything they can get. And it just becomes work for them - taking all the gigs they don’t want to play because they have to pay the bills.

I used to be a single dude who did music 100% full time for a living. But once I met my wife my priorities shifted and I decided I wanted more stability in my life. So I took on a “day gig” as they call it.

It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I get to do music on my own terms now and it stays fun. Everyone I know doing it full time doesn’t have the luxury of naming their terms; they have to take everything they can get. And it just becomes work for them - taking all the gigs they don’t want to play because they have to pay the bills.

I hear ya, man! While I was never making a living with music, I was content supplementing a part time shitty job income with gig money for a very long time. Then I proposed to my ex and it turned into “Get a legit career” and yeah, best decision ever. I thought I had freedom before by working part time and just winging it…….HA! Perspective is a funny thing.

You cannot have any other hobbies? Do you have to help set up PA's or is it house systems?

I rock climb 2 days a week mt bike 1-2 days a week and ski when we have snow as well as work full time. So 2 gigs a month max is all I wan to do. Makes life more balanced and keeps it all fresh and exciting, just me :guiness

8 shows a week sounds like something you could do for a month if you have to do a fulltime job to go with it.

Back