Mudvayne Monday? Bass cover!

DrewJD82

Staff member
Playing bass hasn't been high on my priority list lately, so I figured what better way to destroy my fingers than to hack my way through a Mudvayne cover on bass? I didn't learn it note for note because f*ck that and my fingers need a lot of work, I was mainly interested in getting the tapping stuff (chorus) under my fingers better. Dude has such a creative way of writing his parts and it's not derivative of any player I know of.

Spector Pulse - AxeFX III on one of Austin Buddy's bass presets for the Porta-Bass, but there's a DI track as well I tweaked a bit.

Definitely tricky getting a bass tone that allows that tapping/sliding stuff to pop out right and I can definitely see why there's never been a lot of low-end coming from the bass on Mudvayne albums, there's practically none in the bass itself. I have blisters on my middle finger in two different spots from that f*cking chorus part, I had to keep adjusting which part of my finger I was putting down. :rofl

Imagine going from this dude to Bobzilla or wtfever on bass in your next band :wat

Imagine going from this dude to Bobzilla or wtfever on bass in your next band :wat

“Hey, we need to get Ryan down here to jam on this stuff!”

”Nah, see that dude in the corner? He’s got long hair, give him a bass.”

• Haha
Reactions: JT
Cool man, first time I've ever listened to that song in its entirety. As much as I love the music in MV, the singing always does me in!

Cool man, first time I've ever listened to that song in its entirety. As much as I love the music in MV, the singing always does me in!

Yeah, I couldn’t tolerate screaming vocals for the longest time. These guys stood apart from everyone when they first came out, by the time the album this song is on was released, they ditched most of the prog elements that made me love them so much. Their first two albums take nearly everything about nu-metal and flip it on it’s head.

Yeah, I couldn’t tolerate screaming vocals for the longest time. These guys stood apart from everyone when they first came out, by the time the album this song is on was released, they ditched most of the prog elements that made me love them so much. Their first two albums take nearly everything about nu-metal and flip it on it’s head.
You know who else was cool and kind of similar (although wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy less popular)? Taproot. Not funky at all but they had a cool vibe that got swept up (perhaps a bit unfairly) with all the rest of the 7th tier Nu bands.

You know who else was cool and kind of similar (although wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy less popular)? Taproot. Not funky at all but they had a cool vibe that got swept up (perhaps a bit unfairly) with all the rest of the 7th tier Nu bands.

Yes! Man, I LOVE the Welcome album and was ecstatic when it came out because Toby Wright produced it and the singer definitely has some Layne-isms that they capitalized on for that album. I never heard any of their music after that album, but I just loaded up my iTunes with it!

Yes! Man, I LOVE the Welcome album and was ecstatic when it came out because Toby Wright produced it and the singer definitely has some Layne-isms that they capitalized on for that album. I never heard any of their music after that album, but I just loaded up my iTunes with it!
That first album was great, imo. I need to dig back in when I get a minute. There were so many bands doing the Nu thing and there were some legitimately good ones that never got their due. Mainly because there were just too many all at once.

That first album was great, imo. I need to dig back in when I get a minute. There were so many bands doing the Nu thing and there were some legitimately good ones that never got their due. Mainly because there were just too many all at once.

They were/are from Michigan so pretty familiar with them. At one time it was a death match between
Taproot and The Vervepipe. Taproot was from the Ann Arbor area (U of M) and The Vervepipe were
from East Lansing (MSU) so there was a bit of a collegial rivalry amongst their fans.

Oh and Fred Durst thought he founded Taproot. When they signed with another label he went off
in typical "I am Fred Durst" fashion.

"Hey man, you fucked up. You don't ever bite the hand that feeds in this business, bro . . . Took you under my wing, brought you to my house, talked about you on FM radio and press, and you embarrassed me and the Interscope family. Your association with Limp Bizkit doesn't exist. Your manager slings our name around, he's gonna be blackballed and probably be erased, and you will, too. He's a fucking idiot. You're gonna fucking learn from this time right here I hope you let your band know that you just fucked yourself. You need to be associated with somebody in this business, to put you out there and believe in you. Now you got enemies. Don't fucking show up at my shows cause if you do, you're gonna get fucked. You and your fucking punk ass man. You're learning right now exactly how to ruin your career before it gets started. All the luck, brother, fuck you." (The message left by Fred Durst on Stephen Richards' answering machine) [11]

Pretty sure they still do some shows from time to time.

They were/are from Michigan so pretty familiar with them. At one time it was a death match between
Taproot and The Vervepipe. Taproot was from the Ann Arbor area (U of M) and The Vervepipe were
from East Lansing (MSU) so there was a bit of a collegial rivalry amongst their fans.

Oh and Fred Durst thought he founded Taproot. When they signed with another label he went off
in typical "I am Fred Durst" fashion.

"Hey man, you f****d up. You don't ever bite the hand that feeds in this business, bro . . . Took you under my wing, brought you to my house, talked about you on FM radio and press, and you embarrassed me and the Interscope family. Your association with Limp Bizkit doesn't exist. Your manager slings our name around, he's gonna be blackballed and probably be erased, and you will, too. He's a f*****g idiot. You're gonna f*****g learn from this time right here I hope you let your band know that you just f****d yourself. You need to be associated with somebody in this business, to put you out there and believe in you. Now you got enemies. Don't f*****g show up at my shows cause if you do, you're gonna get f****d. You and your f*****g punk ass man. You're learning right now exactly how to ruin your career before it gets started. All the luck, brother, f**k you." (The message left by Fred Durst on Stephen Richards' answering machine) [11]

Pretty sure they still do some shows from time to time.

Was this Fred Durst the A&R guy or Fred Durst the pimp? Or did he not know the difference? :rofl

What about...the Director?!?!??!

No sh*t, for real? I almost watched this last night but banged out Only Murders instead. I'm curious about this because I have a hard time believing Carrell can do a serious role all the way through, so if I end up watching this, it's be 75% morbid curiosity and 25% 'this plot sounds cool'.

No sh*t, for real? I almost watched this last night but banged out Only Murders instead. I'm curious about this because I have a hard time believing Carrell can do a serious role all the way through, so if I end up watching this, it's be 75% morbid curiosity and 25% 'this plot sounds cool'.
^No this is directed by Durst starring Travolta. It's um; something? :wat

I saw your post and agree 100% that Short is a national treasure \m/

^No this is directed by Durst starring Travolta. It's um; something? :wat

I saw your post and agree 100% that Short is a national treasure \m/

Ohhhhh, I just saw the thumbnail of the trailer and assumed that was that new Carrell (sp?) flick on Netflix.

Initially I was comparing Short's performance in Only Murders to Jiminiy Glick because I've thrown my back out laughing at Glick, but Only Murders really stands on it's own. I'm curious to see how much of it was improvised and how much stays true to the script. I always thought The Office was largely improvised but turns out that wasn't the case at all and very little of it was. I would have LOVED to have been in those writing rooms.

• Love
Jiminy Glick is a tour de force. And i obviously never use that phrase.

Jiminy Glick is a tour de force. And i obviously never use that phrase.

This clip with Larry David gets me bustin’ a gut every time. If you’re making Larry David laugh like that, you’re doing it right.

(NSFW)

• Love
That's some damn fine playing dude!

As I sit here frustrated with my trill speed, er, lack of, especially my pinky, I can't help but ask how instinctive was it for you to play with your right hand fingers like that?

Killer playing brutha! Now, break out the hot pink Warlock and do a whole song with those two in a completely random halloween costume of your choice.

Back