Which do you prefer?

• Monolith

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Modular

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

metropolis_4

Shredder
What's your preference for your guitar rig?

Do you like having one big device that does everything, or composing your own rig out of multiple small devices?

Real amps and cabs? -> Modular, separate cabs.
Pedals and effects? -> Monolith in a multieffect, can't stand pedal boards and cable management.
Amp modeling? -> Monolith in a multieffect, no way I'm collecting single "amp pedals" or "preamp pedals" with external IR loader pedals.

If IK comes up with a ToneX pedal it better have some effects and advanced routing like the Helix/QC, I'm not a fan of building a pedal board around a single "amp pedal".

What you had in mind @metropolis_4 ?

Real amps and cabs? -> Modular, separate cabs.
Pedals and effects? -> Monolith in a multieffect, can't stand pedal boards and cable management.
Amp modeling? -> Monolith in a multieffect, no way I'm collecting single "amp pedals" or "preamp pedals" with external IR loader pedals.

If IK comes up with a ToneX pedal it better have some effects and advanced routing like the Helix/QC, I'm not a fan of building a pedal board around a single "amp pedal".

What you had in mind @metropolis_4 ?

Nothing in particular. I have my own preference and I was curious what others prefer

Count me in with @la szum and @DrewJD82 in the "both" vote.

I typically prefer to K.I.S.S. with the least gear possible, so that leans me towards the monolith, often with an amp and cab, a modeler, or a combination thereof with a 4CM modeler for effects and alternative amps.

However, one thing missing on a modeler is dedicated knobs. Parameters can get overwhelming and sometimes looking at the position of a knob and grabbing it for adjustments, or looking down at a dedicated stomp box to quickly step on the button is more satisfying.

In fact, I've never been a pedal guy, but have recently been building up a small arsenal after getting a BE-100. "Hmmm... It'd be nice to have some reverb. Hmmm... It'd be nice to have a tuner. Hmmm... A TS9 would make it more aggressive. Hmmm... A Drop pedal would be nice. Hmmm... A noise gate would be nice..."

Then again, when I take my rig somewhere, I'd still just use a FM9 with the amp.

Answer: Both.

Monolith after being in the modular team for many years. Started with up to 10 pedals, then 7 pedals and a Boss GT8, then 1 pedal (poly tuner) and a Helix LT. I've also moved from real amp to simulation. My life is way much easier now.

Back