Mick Mars

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all, so Im working/learning this song and ive got the tone down pretty good and technique is coming along
although im encountering difficulties playing at this pace (new respect for Mick), but that's just a matter of time and practice
there is one thing though this part here (see Video Link below) its a simple inverted power chord but it dont sound right when i play it compared to what I hear Mick on the record
Wondering if the Inverted chord is wrong or its just my technique :idk

Thank all for any input6 or suggestions :chef

Minor 3rd Dyads are cool!
I don't know if he's referring to those as inverted power chords, since they look like upside down power chords, or if he's referring to actual inverted power chords. If he's using actual inverted power chords, then it won't sound right.

Well im following the Chord Structure as per my lessonand
as mentioned
G-----5----------7--------5--5--------7
D-----7----------9--------7--7--------9

but It just seems off to me does not sound like Mick on the record , but for the other chords in the song it sounds great, so dont know why :idk

Used to play this one in a Crue tribute band, Im not sure I played it right, either. It was definitely close enough for rock and roll though. Im sorry, I dont really remember how the part went. MM isn’t the best player but hes instantly identifiable the way he plays.

as mentioned

but It just seems off to me does not sound like Mick on the record , but for the other chords in the song it sounds great, so dont know why :idk

Pretty sure that is right. The bass is moving underneath that (A, G, F, G) while those
are repeated on guitar. Can sound kind of dull on guitar played alone without the
bass following the chorus chord progression.

as mentioned

Sounds damn close to me, but I am dropping the pitch with a virtual capo at a low volume, so I am hearing bleed from my standard tuned strings, which is throwing me off.

Any particular chord that sounds off to you or all of them?

Sounds damn close to me, but I am dropping the pitch with a virtual capo at a low volume, so I am hearing bleed from my standard tuned strings, which is throwing me off.

Any particular chord that sounds off to you or all of them?
No its just that part, was able to resolve it though, 1 was my sloppy technique and 2 I had too much gain on tap
Lowered the Drive and prcticed the part, so now its somewhat acceptable :)

Used to play this one in a Crue tribute band, Im not sure I played it right, either. It was definitely close enough for rock and roll though. Im sorry, I dont really remember how the part went. MM isn’t the best player but hes instantly identifiable the way he plays.
True but I have way more respect for him as a player while the chords and progrression on this song are not overly complicated, i do find it challenging to keep up rhythmically and he does have those super fast fills that well have me practicing a lot more :)

True but I have way more respect for him as a player while the chords and progrression on this song are not overly complicated, i do find it challenging to keep up rhythmically and he does have those super fast fills that well have me practicing a lot more :)

I just listened to it for the first time in a very, very long time all the way through. One thing that definitely doesn't help ya is the double bass and guitar are out of time throughout the song, so if you're playing along and trying to keep up with the kick drum, you'll be playing it a little faster than Mick did in the recording, but if you play along to Mick, you'll be out of time with Tommy.

It's actually kind of charming/interesting to hear that. Such a huge difference between recording 40 years ago and the standards we hold ourselves to today.

I entered the and exited the Crue discography faster than every other comparable metal tinged early hair band back then. But Mick always struck me as an originals guy who served the song more than the other guys. He couldn't quite rip like DeMartini or Lynch but you felt like he was a kindred spirit as far as a guy writing riffs in his jam room then building them into songs with people who didn't seem like any sort of musical superstars. And I mean all this in the best of ways.

I entered the and exited the Crue discography faster than every other comparable metal tinged early hair band back then. But Mick always struck me as an originals guy who served the song more than the other guys. He couldn't quite rip like DeMartini or Lynch but you felt like he was a kindred spirit as far as a guy writing riffs in his jam room then building them into songs with people who didn't seem like any sort of musical superstars. And I mean all this in the best of ways.

From what I remember reading The Dirt and probably Tommy's book, that's quite spot on with their feelings towards him as well. I remember they weren't entirely impressed when he showed up at the door because he was a bit older than the Nikki and Tommy and looked like he'd been around the block a bit, but he had the attitude and aggression they were looking for without trying to be EVH.

I just listened to it for the first time in a very, very long time all the way through. One thing that definitely doesn't help ya is the double bass and guitar are out of time throughout the song, so if you're playing along and trying to keep up with the kick drum, you'll be playing it a little faster than Mick did in the recording, but if you play along to Mick, you'll be out of time with Tommy.

It's actually kind of charming/interesting to hear that. Such a huge difference between recording 40 years ago and the standards we hold ourselves to today.

Thats a very good idea thanks will def try that out tomorrow morning (y)
Thanks

From what I remember reading The Dirt and probably Tommy's book, that's quite spot on with their feelings towards him as well. I remember they weren't entirely impressed when he showed up at the door because he was a bit older than the Nikki and Tommy and looked like he'd been around the block a bit, but he had the attitude and aggression they were looking for without trying to be EVH.

He's also like 10 to 15 years older than everyone else in the band, isn't he?

Mick = 71
Nikki = 63
Vince = 61
Tommy = 60

Also Mick has been battling some severe chronic arthritis for several decades. Wonder if he retired 15-20 years ago if the band would have ever had their "final tour" the first time around.

Mick = 71
Nikki = 63
Vince = 61
Tommy = 60

Also Mick has been battling some severe chronic arthritis for several decades. Wonder if he retired 15-20 years ago if the band would have ever had their "final tour" the first time around.

I was surprised to hear they were touring when they retired! I feel like he first started talking about the disease (condition?) years ago. The dude rocked out past retirement age, that's pretty damn cool.

Back