Mic Combinations and Positions

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I’ve started defaulting my mic combo to a 57 off the cap as usual, and a 121 dead center of the cap but pulled all the way back as far as Neurals mic options will let me. (Then I drop the 121 -2db less than the 57, to let the 57 still it do it’s thing) I know a 57/121 is a classic pairing, but I got the idea as far as depth watching a Steve Albini video where he said if he is going for more of a live feel he’ll just single mic (forgot which one) dead center and pull buck just beyond a foot from the cap. He didn’t mention pairing it with anything else close miked, but I gotta say I’m quite digging it. You get the cut and sizzle of the 57, but it’s not that over cooked tone, way more balanced, but without sounding too loose and airy.

Anyways, just curious curious what mic setup you guys use with your digital gear. I need to do more experimentation with this, as I think I’ve spent more time thinking about cabs and not enough time on mics and positioning.

I used to use a SM57 + M160 combination a lot, blending the M160 in until it adds enough body to the 57.

With the Fractal Dyna-Cabs, I find myself using just the Condenser mic (Soyuz 1973) a lot. It just sounds right.

95% of the time it’s a single 57 for me.

low end comes from proximity effect, top end and upper midrange fine tuned with mic position.

If I want a different midrange character, I’ll try a 421 and maybe blend it with a 57. If I do that, it usually ends up being about 6dB quieter than the 57.

57 dead centre of the speaker is underrated. On a lot of speakers it sounds less phasey to me, even though you’ll get more top end and fizz. Just gotta adjust the amp to compensate a bit. If I’m hearing too much of the 57 character, m201 is a cool alternative that doesn’t feel wildly different.

For cleaner tones or combos I quite like a LDC mic’d at a distance.

Blending can be a bit messy if you aren’t careful (and I mean even with phase aligned mics, there will still be interactions), usually I prefer the tighter phase response and punch from a single mic in the right spot

I am always switching things up depending on the varaibles. Single SM57 or an old USA 545SD (basically a SM57 but a little smoother and musical high end.) I often add a M160 and really like to add an AKG 414 also. Triple mic'd with a dynamic, condenser and ribbon sounds very full. Swapping the M160 for a MD421 works well.

I like the R121 but the mids are very strong and it definitely needs the SM57 most of the time.

I have mics that do their own thing like the Heil PR20, PR30, sE V7, Neumann KM184 and even a RadioShack PZM.

Oh, and the Sennheiser E906 and E609 are great, even alone.

I usually use 1 microphone.

I like an SM57 or M201TG 1.5” to 2” from the center, right on the grill of a Greenback cab, when I go for Marshall sounds.

I like a SM57 about 2-3” off center, on the grill, for a V30.

When I use a E906, I back the mic off the grill by 1”. I back off a M160 by 3-4” when I use it by itself.

Sometimes a very carefully placed 57 gets it done for me. Sometimes I’ll add a 414, 67, 121, or 160 if I want to add more body.

Been looking at the M160, found this Pete video blending a 57/160. Real nice. Might try using it as an alternative to the 121.

I tend to use the UM70 option on the Ownhammer IR packs I've got, it's got a bit of a midrange thing going on but smoother up top than the ragged 57 sound. If I want more bass I'll add a 121 in, if I want a bit more cut a 57.

Back