Mesa Triple Crown or 2555X

texhex

Roadie
Well... I'm torn now. I was really stuck on the 2555X (I've got a DSL100 but want a "proper" Marshall) but then I started looking hard hard at the TC100. I love Mesa amps and the TC100 has a lot to offer, two totally different amps... I know. I'm probably gonna kick my self but I'm liking the Mesa. It can just do so much more, but it's not a Marshall. :confused: Still saving and waiting on either of these to pop up. The TC100 is just crazy nice for what it is and the Marshall is what it is.

I played a TC a couple times. It’s ridiculously easy to dial in good tones, and extrmely versatile across its various channels and modes. I found it’s inherent tone though to be a bit generic, or lacking personality if that makes any sense. Just sort of nondescript. I should probably give it another go as that was a few years ago.

Well... I'm torn now. I was really stuck on the 2555X (I've got a DSL100 but want a "proper" Marshall) but then I started looking hard hard at the TC100. I love Mesa amps and the TC100 has a lot to offer, two totally different amps... I know. I'm probably gonna kick my self but I'm liking the Mesa. It can just do so much more, but it's not a Marshall. :confused: Still saving and waiting on either of these to pop up. The TC100 is just crazy nice for what it is and the Marshall is what it is.

I really like the TC maybe I am odd
To me it’s strength is not having an identity. You can play country rock
Djent and it does it all well

Where I think it gets confusing is when people hear the term British voicing they immediately think Marshall , so while I will say it has some UK tones in there especially w the stock 34 tubes , it’s more
Hiwatt , Victory , Laney that it’s shares some attributes w not Marshall’s

And although it says it’s Mesas highest gain amp ever , that’s marketing it has gain but it’s smoother overall than Rectos or other modern amps

i mean i get it.. it may not be the sexiest marshall but the "proper" tones are there i think. a DSL and TC sounds like a nice combo actually

I regret selling this rig sometimes. I had some darn good gigs with it..

47237252_569466760163607_103152366986985472_n.jpg

Yeah, I really like the DLS100H but I've always wanted a Made in England Marshall and the 2203 reissue or 2555x would fit the bill nicely. The prices on the 2203s are just crazy and if you are patient you can find 2555x floating around the $1600-$1800 mark if you don't mind a little blue text on the sides of the head shell. Gonna wait and see.

Y'all are making me want a Triple Crown :mad:

Jube is cool too, I don't think OP could go wrong with either
The funny thing is that compared to all the Marshall’s the Crown would have the most in common with the Jubilee.

The Jubilee and Crown both run on a plate driven tone stack as opposed to cathode follower designs

Other plate driven are Splawn , some Engls , Hiwatt victory
Wizard
A plate stacks feels a bit different it’s not quite as chewy without the CF it’s more immediate and stiffer
Like the Wizard , it’s not night and day but it’s There

The funny thing is that compared to all the Marshall’s the Crown would have the most in common with the Jubilee.

The Jubilee and Crown both run on a plate driven tone stack as opposed to cathode follower designs

Other plate driven are Splawn , some Engls , Hiwatt victory
Wizard
A plate stacks feels a bit different it’s not quite as chewy without the CF it’s more immediate and stiffer
Like the Wizard , it’s not night and day but it’s There

That makes sense, and I think immediate and stiff are good descriptors for my experience with a TC, and not necessarily in a “negative” way. Super versatile amp, easy to dial in, covers all the gain ranges. (I just found it’s inherent tone a bit nondescript)

Back