Mesa Boogie tech support doesn't know squat about their own cabinets

I wonder if the Bean Counters from Gibson are forcing Mesa's hand at some
cost-cutting maneuvers. :idk

This is what Corporate Hydra do. Pinch pennies on every part, because in a volume
business those fractions of a penny per piece add up over time to increased
reduced manufacturing costs, which can lead to increased profitability.

My hunch is they did this with the Mark VII (pure speculation), which is why it has
considerably fewer tubes and features/tones/options than its predecessors, and is
all crammed into a smaller chassis/headshell? Coincidence? Probably.
BOOM, on point.

There's a 6505 w/matching cab for sale locally that I've sort of been watching. After "reliving" the Badlander TacoGate, I started seriously considering selling the Mesa and buying the 6505 instead. But... #Badlander... it's just such an amazing amp, I'm convinced I'll regret it if I sell it.

There's a 6505 w/matching cab for sale locally that I've sort of been watching. After "reliving" the Badlander TacoGate, I started seriously considering selling the Mesa and buying the 6505 instead. But... #Badlander... it's just such an amazing amp, I'm convinced I'll regret it if I sell it.

6505’s are a dime a dozen, man. If it were a great deal on a less-popular amp I’d say go for it, but with the general prices dropping on 5150 variants, I’d just hold out until one pops up for a killer deal that you’re not selling what ya know ya love already.

I wonder if the Bean Counters from Gibson are forcing Mesa's hand at some
cost-cutting maneuvers. :idk

This is what Corporate Hydra do. Pinch pennies on every part, because in a volume
business those fractions of a penny per piece add up over time to increased
reduced manufacturing costs, which can lead to increased profitability.

My hunch is they did this with the Mark VII (pure speculation), which is why it has
considerably fewer tubes and features/tones/options than its predecessors, and is
all crammed into a smaller chassis/headshell? Coincidence? Probably.
tbf i think Mesa has always done funky things with their approach to manufacturing. Tech’s have always hated working on them because they aren’t really designed with servicing in mind, and certain things WILL run into problems (like using caps that are too close to their voltage rating, or parts that get affected by heat being close to things that get hot).

Spoke with MB support regarding replacement of the Jensen Blackbird speakers in my open-back and Thiele 1x12 California Tweed cabinets.

Purchased a pair of MC-90s from them and upon receiving them I noticed they did not have gaskets installed to support front mounting.

Before disassembling the cabs I contacted support once again and the support guy assured me that the cabs are rear loaded.

I removed the rear panel from both cabs and just as I originally expected, they are both front mounted.

Now I'm waiting on a set of gaskets from Simply Speakers so I can properly mount the new speakers.

First time I have ever experienced incompetent support from MB.
Welcome to Gibson corp.

Spoke with MB support regarding replacement of the Jensen Blackbird speakers in my open-back and Thiele 1x12 California Tweed cabinets.

Purchased a pair of MC-90s from them and upon receiving them I noticed they did not have gaskets installed to support front mounting.

Before disassembling the cabs I contacted support once again and the support guy assured me that the cabs are rear loaded.

I removed the rear panel from both cabs and just as I originally expected, they are both front mounted.

Now I'm waiting on a set of gaskets from Simply Speakers so I can properly mount the new speakers.

First time I have ever experienced incompetent support from MB.
Perhaps all cabs the MC-90 comes loaded in are rear loaded? In other words, maybe he made an annoying but understandable mistake, rather than being a complete idiot. Though the latter is also certainly possible.

With the Triaxis amp guys couldn’t do the electronics and electronics guys couldn’t do the tube side. Amp repair techs need to be good players to even understand the issues. Same with guitars.
I kind of understand though, it's a computer from 1991. How many PC guys know their way around a Tandy 286?

The head ships most likely packed into a thick cardboard box, several layers of bubble wrap, in a birch plywood head shell, in a metal chassis, yet that's not enough to keep standoffs from breaking?

The way this has to be looked at is how many heads shipped in the exact same packaging configuration and didn't get damaged?
Sounds more like some idiot at some point during transit dropped @Iron1's box from higher up than it should have been dropped from.

Screw all this Mesa talk, the real conversation in this thread is that TGFest clearly has to happen in Florida.
At least maybe lets plan to go see a band halfway between everyone this year and have a meet and greet and of course a few beverages!

Back