Maybe IRs AREN'T the devil

Baba

Shredder
In my ever turning carousel of, "which rig will I use this week", a new episode emerged.

Because I saw someone do it on the YouTube, and it sounded so good, for the first time in like a year or two, I went to my folder of York Audio IRs to try them, direct to my IEMs with my Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40.

I didn't love it, but I think that is because I've come to that normal point of the cycle, (with the GM40D) where, I buy/use a tone generator for a year or so, and then one day, out of the blue, decide that it no longer sounds good :LOL: :facepalm. I've had it for a year and a half, so, that makes sense.

So, then I decided to try some IRs (this is not the first time), with my old trusty Peavey Rockmaster preamp, and voila! THE tone, right off the bat, right away.

I will say though, clickbait/misleading thread title is misleading, I did try a few different IRs with both pieces of gear, and it while they "worked" they weren't "right". I landed on the ever popular and easy York Audio MES 212 V30 Full Mix as "the one". That IR kind of gets out of it's own way, and just seems to be "even", if there is such a thing, and that's why I like it. It kind of doesn't have it's own attitude, if that makes sense, so it doesn't seem to compete with the tone source for dominance.

Because it seems to be inevitable, I am sure I will run away from this setup, and decide "something else" out there is "better", so, it'll be interesting to see what that is, (probably a similar setup but with a couple of Synergy modules), but for now, this sounds damn good.

You know it worked 'cause the Rock Master is...

idZTrnG.png

I know all about love a tone one day and hate it the next. Us guitar players are never satisfied for long. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
You know it worked 'cause the Rock Master is...

idZTrnG.png

I know all about love a tone one day and hate it the next. Us guitar players are never satisfied for long. :ROFLMAO:
It IS a great preamp.

It actually keeps me from being too curious about the Synergy stuff, or other preamps, because besides wanting the sounds of those actual amps, I don't think the modules would be any "better" sounding, just different.

Yeah. James Brown is definitely “my” builder. From the Rockmaster to the 5150, Classic series, and even the Kustom Coupes, dude is in my head for sure.
Amen

I still have my Rock Master, this 6505+...

iaShiE8.jpg

and up until yesterday this Delta Blues 115.

tv5HZ8x.jpg

Love it to death but something had to go towards the FM3 fund.
I kept the right ones. :beer

Back