Matthias Jabs Solos- Wow! VC Anyone?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
Working my way into some pentatonic solos with those 'bendy' licks, and wow! Matthias Jabs solos make me think he's got small (ish) fingers. Some of those licks being so high on the neck make me want to use the Virtual Capo in the Axe Fx, and play them a few frets lower. I mean, my guitar has better upper fret access than what he played, but damn! Talk about tight spaces.

Anyone else get creative, and maybe click on the VC so you can shift a solo to a more comfortable spot? I tried it 2 steps down, and it sounds fine, so there's that.

At Home Reaction GIF

Now that I think about this a little bit more, I did have a GR8 patch for Pat Metheny , where an expression pedal would move the synth tones up an octave. Similar.

Also opened a filter iirc. Been awhile.

Working my way into some pentatonic solos with those 'bendy' licks, and wow! Matthias Jabs solos make me think he's got small (ish) fingers. Some of those licks being so high on the neck make me want to use the Virtual Capo in the Axe Fx, and play them a few frets lower. I mean, my guitar has better upper fret access than what he played, but damn! Talk about tight spaces.

Anyone else get creative, and maybe click on the VC so you can shift a solo to a more comfortable spot? I tried it 2 steps down, and it sounds fine, so there's that.

Explorers have amazing upper fret access. He's a giant. Love his style----note choices and phrasing.

Any solo in particular for that high access? Wanna try

Any solo in particular for that high access? Wanna try
No One Like You Edit: Rock You Like A Hurricane.
The riff in particular is 5- 19,22 4- 19,20,21 3- 19,20,21 2- 20,22b1 1-22, 22b1

I don't use my pinky for any of it, and on the 3rd string, I hit both the 19 & 20 with my 1st finger, to help me get in the best position to use just my 1st & 2nd fingers on the 2nd string, then my 3rd finger on the 1st string. That's the best way I can at least make an attempt at it, other than what I asked about raising the pitch with the VC.

Last edited:

Love Matthias's phrasing. Sometimes flashy, not shreddy. Always tasteful.

Yeah, your Majesty has some of the best upper fret access available outside of a flying V. Like @Piing , I am curious which solos you are referring to (EDIT: You answered right before I commented).

No One Like You
The riff in particular is 5- 19,22 4- 19,20,21 3- 19,20,21 2- 20,22b2 1-22b2

I don't use my pinky for any of it, and on the 3rd string, I hit both the 19 & 20 with my 1st finger, to help me get in the best position to use just my 1st & 2nd fingers on the 2nd string, then my 3rd finger on the 1st string. That's the best way I can at least make an attempt at it, other than what I asked about raising the pitch with the VC.
Which measure? Oh wait, by 20,22b2 do you mean bend to 22 from 20? I am looking at the tab and cannot otherwise figure out where he is playing at the 22nd fret.

[Interesting... I quoted you and it included more than was originally there. You must have added the second part after I saw it and before I quoted it].

Which measure? Oh wait, by 20,22b2 do you mean bend to 22 from 20? I am looking at the tab and cannot otherwise figure out where he is playing at the 22nd fret.

[Interesting... I quoted you and it included more than was originally there. You must have added the second part after I saw it and before I quoted it].
First off, I wrote it wrong, but I just edited my post.
2nd, it's play 20, then 22 with a 1 step bend.
Then on the first string, it's actually 22, followed by a bend up 1 step.

And to be clear, the "challenge" for me is how tight/cramped it is when playing the chromatic notes on the 4th & 3rd strings. And because I'm playing those notes with my first 3 fingers (only), it positions my hand a little further up the neck. which then brings into play the upper fret access. Having a guitar that's clear all the way to the 24th fret makes it easier, for me anyway, to have my hand occupying some of that space, when doing those final 22nd fret bends with my 2nd, and then 3rd, fingers.

And having 10's on a 25.5" scale guitar doesn't help either! But hey, it's all overcome-able with practice!

Last edited:
And to be clear, the "challenge" for me is how tight it is when playing the chromatic notes on the 4th & 3rd strings. And because I'm playing those notes with my first 3 fingers (only), it positions my hand a little further up the neck. which then brings into play the upper fret access. Having a guitar that's clear all the way to the 24th fret makes it easier, for me anyway, to have my hand occupying some of that space, when doing those final 22nd fret bends with my 2nd, and then 3rd, fingers.

And having 10's on a 25.5" scale guitar doesn't help either! But hey, it's all overcome-able with practice!
I hear ya. I have thick finger tips that I need to mush together up on those meedly-meedly high frets, regardless of the nice upper fret access on the Majesty. It eventually comes around with a little practice, which can make it seem more fulfilling once mastered.

I'm still curious about which measure that riff is played at. I can't find it on the Songsterr tab:

I hear ya. I have thick finger tips that I need to mush together up on those meedly-meedly high frets, regardless of the nice upper fret access on the Majesty. It eventually comes around with a little practice, which can make it seem more fulfilling once mastered.

I'm still curious about which measure that riff is played at. I can't find it on the Songsterr tab:
My bad. I said the wrong song. D'OH! Rock You Like A Hurricane. Measure 90-91.

Back