Marshall Code 50 question

Ianrowero

Hey everyone, I’m interested in buying this amp, any thoughts on it? I have never played it before, I’ve seen some good and bad reviews.
I’m looking for an 80s rock tone but also a bit blues, my budget is 400 USD max.
I don’t really care about the built in effects, I already have a multi effects pedalboard.

Attachments

• 23A8DD33-F0B1-4C08-AF54-ECF7EFC7EF6B.png
    23A8DD33-F0B1-4C08-AF54-ECF7EFC7EF6B.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
Hey everyone, I’m interested in buying this amp, any thoughts on it? I have never played it before, I’ve seen some good and bad reviews.
I’m looking for an 80s rock tone but also a bit blues, my budget is 400 USD max.
I don’t really care about the built in effects, I already have a multi effects pedalboard.
Hey welcome to the forum! I can't say I have much experience with this amp and traditional forum fashion I'm going to suggest an alternative. But I guarantee others here have given it a spin.

Try and see if you can snag a Marshall DSL20C for around 400. It would be a steal at the price but I have seen it.

For 400 bucks you could definitely do a lot better than a Marshall code honestly.

I had one and I spent hours and hours and couldn't get a single tone out of it that I liked. Of course tone is subjective as they say but the code is not really a very good amp in my opinion.

Look in the used market. If you don't want to buy used, the Boss Katana is a much better amplifier and can be had for under 400 bucks new. If you are willing to buy used, and are going to play '80s metal, a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 has some tremendous high gain options then you should be able to easily find one of those for under 400 bucks. The 6505 amp in it sounds just like a 6505. I know because I have owned several 6505 amps and I own a tube Vypyr. Owning that literally makes it silly to spend the money on a 6505 it's that good and that accurate. Unfortunately they do not have a effects loop, so front end effects only.

There are many other better choices than a code for 400 bucks. You could get into a Bugera tube combo easily for under 400. They have a couple good high Gain options.

Last edited:
The Marshall CODE sucks sweaty balls. New, you’re in Katana 100 territory, Line 6 Catalyst. Used, you can find tons of used tube amps. DSL20, Origin 20, etc.
This 100%. For that budget, I’d go Katana or a good used tube amp. The CODE, for all intents and purposes, is not your father’s Marshall. It just shares the logo.

For $100 more, this is an underated hybrid digital/tube poweramp Marshall, I owned the head and loved it, but moved on to a Kemper and AXE3 over time. The amp says head, but the pic is a combo.

Edit: Softube(AmpRoom's creator) designed the 16 digital models in the pre amp

Last edited:
Back