Mark V25 Appreciation

EL84's only become a thing when you push an amp into power tube distortion, which isn't as big a deal as it used to be. Speaker cab matters too.
I do like the features of the V:25, and it doesn't help watching Andy Timmons demo one.
I'm gonna have a Mesa before it's all said and done, I just know it. :rofl
A 25 watt amp is going to be all sorts of nonlinear in the power amp even at modest volumes. It might not be straight up clipping/crunch, but a lot of compression and added harmonic content that could neuter the brutal

While we're on the subject, what a beast of a little amp. Destined to be considered a all-time classic imo.

View attachment 10227

Top 8 All Time - made this list.

:headbang

Great pic!

Randall did say the MV25 was one the things he was most proud of, fitting all of what they did into such a small package.

As for the Top 8 list, was disappointed to not see the Electra Dyne on there, but not surprised. It's like the Mesa that never happened, in a lot of ways.

Great pic!

Randall did say the MV25 was one the things he was most proud of, fitting all of what they did into such a small package.

As for the Top 8 list, was disappointed to not see the Electra Dyne on there, but not surprised. It's like the Mesa that never happened, in a lot of ways.

Yeah. 5 of the 8 amps on the list are Mark series amps. :wat

A 25 watt amp is going to be all sorts of nonlinear in the power amp even at modest volumes. It might not be straight up clipping/crunch, but a lot of compression and added harmonic content that could neuter the brutal
The power section is always working so sure there will be an effect. Tube bias is also a factor, cathode vs. fixed.

And now I want a TC-50...

I'm always tempted by that amp too, even though I've briefly owned one long enough to realize it wasn't for me.

I just saw a new one in the store here though, and they are now pushing $4k new, price-wise in Canada. Absolutely ludicrous.

EL84's only become a thing when you push an amp into power tube distortion, which isn't as big a deal as it used to be. Speaker cab matters too.
I do like the features of the V:25, and it doesn't help watching Andy Timmons demo one.
I'm gonna have a Mesa before it's all said and done, I just know it. :rofl

1692974487008.gif

I'm always tempted by that amp too, even though I've briefly owned one long enough to realize it wasn't for me.
Please elaborate. Meaning, please talk me off this ledge LOL.

I just saw a new one in the store here though, and they are now pushing $4k new, price-wise in Canada. Absolutely ludicrous.
I'm looking at a used head for $1500 (USD), which seems like a great deal. But didn't I just do this a couple of months ago with a TA-30? :unsure: (My wife will likely ask the same question.)

Last edited:
Please elaborate. Meaning, please talk me off this ledge LOL.

Haha. Well, for me, it was mostly in comparison to my Electra Dyne head(s). If I had tried the TC50 as a new amp, having never played the Dyne, I would probably love it.

But I do tend to prefer 6L6 Mesas (and KT66 Marshalls). I like that fat, vintage-y JTM vibe, whereas the TC50 is leaner and quicker, less saggy, a little more JCM (but still very Mesa).

But overall, for me (as it turns out, time and time again), the Electra Dyne is my forever amp (which doesn't stop me from trying others, from time to time, haha).

Haha. Well, for me, it was mostly in comparison to my Electra Dyne head(s). If I had tried the TC50 as a new amp, having never played the Dyne, I would probably love it.

But I do tend to prefer 6L6 Mesas (and KT66 Marshalls). I like that fat, vintage-y JTM vibe, whereas the TC50 is leaner and quicker, less saggy, a little more JCM (but still very Mesa).

But overall, for me (as it turns out, time and time again), the Electra Dyne is my forever amp (which doesn't stop me from trying others, from time to time, haha).
And now I want an Electra Dyne... ;)

Last edited:
And now I want an Eltra Dyne... ;)

Ha! Well to be fair, the TC50 has a lot of pluses, in comparison (but maybe this isn't helping? :grin):

- much better master volume (the Dyne's is comically ridiculous, it goes from off to "really damn loud" at about 7 o'clock on the dial)

- mode options on each channel (Tight, etc), Dyne has none

- MIDI-controllable channel-switching (not over the modes on each channel, though)

- total EQ and volume control over each channel (vs the Dyne's shared, but range-optimized for each channel controls, ie "ganged"

- better footswitch (instant access to each of the 3 channels vs Dyne's two-switch, clean/dirty on one switch and dirty/boosted on second switch)

- a bit lighter weight and smaller (though not as big a difference with small-shell Dyne head, which is hard to find)

However, in spite of all that ^^^, I still like the sound and feel of my Dyne much better and it suits my needs better. I also realized I don't like all that MIDI stuff in a good old tube amp, just more stuff to have a problem with?

Anyway, sorry for the slight derail, @Achilles ! Back to the MV25 love. :)

Last edited:
Ha! Well to be fair, the TC50 has a lot of pluses, in comparison (but maybe this isn't helping? :grin):

- much better master volume (the Dyne's is comically ridiculous, it goes from off to "really damn loud" at about 7 o'clock on the dial)

- mode options on each channel (Tight, etc), Dyne has none

- MIDI-controllable channel-switching (not over the modes on each channel, though)

- total EQ and volume control over each channel (vs the Dyne's shared, but range-optimized for each channel controls, ie "ganged"

- better footswitch (instant access to each of the 3 channels vs Dyne's two-switch, clean/dirty on one switch and dirty/boosted on second switch)

- a bit lighter weight and smaller (though not as big a difference with small-shell Dyne head, which is hard to find)

However, in spite of all that ^^^, I still like the sound and feel of my Dyne much better and it suits my needs better. I also realized I don't like all that MIDI stuff in a good old tube amp, just more stuff to have a problem with?

Anyway, sorry for the slight derail, @Achilles ! Back to the MV25 love. :)
Definitely not helping LOL. Without having heard the two in order to appreciate the difference in tone for myself, this sounds like the Mesa of my dreams in many ways. (As does e.g. a MkVII, but I'm not about to find one of those for $1500.)

Electra-Dyne is punch AF. Definitely felt that simuclass power kick in. It is an amp I wish would have not been broken when I got it from GC. That plus some curated pedals is :chef

Back