Mark V25 Appreciation

Electra-Dyne is punch AF. Definitely felt that simuclass power kick in. It is an amp I wish would have not been broken when I got it from GC. That plus some curated pedals is :chef

My two cents. It is a THICCK amp, and probably shines in a one guitar band--hence TS digging it so much.

I bet you would have issues in a larger setting with more instrumentation.

I had the exact same issues with the ED and a Shiva (and have mentioned here how and why I think the
ED is Mesa's take on a Bogner inspired circuit---right down to the knob choices). I couldn't get either to sit
right in a multiple guitar setting. They are big and thick and warm and juicy. Two of those style amps/tones
in one band seldom works. And if it does not always that well.

My two cents. It is a THICCK amp, and probably shines in a one guitar band--hence TS digging it so much.

I had the exact same issues with the ED and a Shiva (and have mentioned here how and why I think the
ED is Mesa's take on a Bogner inspired circuit---right down to the knob choices). I couldn't get either to sit
right in a multiple guitar setting. They are big and thick and warm and juicy. Two of those style amps/tones
I can see that absolutely. It's super fat sounding but I can see how it would sort of splatt low end all over everything in a mix.

Is this in reference to the combo, maybe?

I found the combo tubby/boomy/too thick and returned it (twice). Love the MC90 with other amps (JCM800), but not with this one, at all.

The head version + at least two V30s in a closed back cab helps with mids/upper mids in a big way. It also responds well to raising mids/treble/presence and dropping the bass way down.

Anyway, this thread is about Mark V 25 love, dammit! :grin

2 x EL84 isn't going to rock over a loud drummer and bass player. You have to use more than that.

image0001.jpg

I really dug the Badlander 25 I played at Sweetwater with the “Reggie”
Adam Jones Silverburst.
I’ve played ‘the’ 5 figure CS one and to tell y’all the truth….👀
-I liked the pick-ups in the $30 bag of “Reg’s” pick-ups that were in the ‘normie Silverburst,
-a faithful chunker better.
I was def’ elbow deep in Stinkfist fellas,
- especially with that skippy playing SO LOUD
with those “half payed for” Clapton licks that I was telling you dude’s about in a prior content bomb.
THAT!! Fired me up way more then the volume actually.
So I put “The Super Cream” on his ass..😎

Congrats with the sweet new amplifier.. I forgot about that!!!

Is this in reference to the combo, maybe?

I found the combo tubby/boomy/too thick and returned it (twice). Love the MC90 with other amps (JCM800), but not with this one, at all.

The head version + at least two V30s in a closed back cab helps with mids/upper mids in a big way. It also responds well to raising mids/treble/presence and dropping the bass way down.

Anyway, this thread is about Mark V 25 love, dammit! :grin

A plethora of Low mids are low mids. :LOL:

The ED I had (head) was creamy and fat. :chef I think I just like that upper-mid Marshall kerrang and the
ED and Shiva don't do that. Just not part of their inherited tone stack in my experience. Kind of remarkable
how similar those amps were when I had them.

The Carvin Legacy is another amp that reminds me of that really warm, smooth, fat type of amp that can easily
get a little too thick in some settings/applications. They be the Deep Dishh Pizzas of the Amp world. :LOL:

If I were to go the 25w route again, I’d do a 25w amp+Fryette PS2. Then you literally have mouse fart to gig level, and a power amp to use with a backup preamp.

The Mark V:25 sounds brilliant through the PS2.

Back