Mark Morton bails on Jackson

The word "shot" doesn't even begin to describe Dokken's voice :oops: The guy seems to have lightened up a bit in the past few years but hearing him sing live has been painful for some time. It's tough getting old!

That QR song was actually damn good!

Here's my book on QR situation. They are in such a weird place. Their biggest problem is their catalog. They kicked absolute ass from the EP, up through Empire and into Promised Land on a song or two. Some of the TLT era was damn good too. But their style is soooo inconsistent different (beyond falling somewhere under the progressive rock/metal umbrella) from one album to the next it's really hard to get a groove going for them in a live setting if they aren't just playing an album in it's entirety. Which they can't do because they need to focus on the new stuff because that's where Todd is pointing them.

Trying to put Queen of the Reich next to I AM I does not work. Watching them live was like watching a cover band hop from one thing to the next with no thread connecting them. I mean; you know it's the same band and they have been all over the place in their careers. There's no real flow to their material when you chain it together out of each album's context. Very herky jerky; despite all being killer tunes.

That’s actually a really spot on assessment and I agree, for sure. Especially Queen Of the Ryche to I Am I hahahah, Jesus. They were headlining each time I saw them, the first time was mostly older material, 2nd time had a lot more newer stuff and the last time was mostly newer stuff and older stuff peppered in and nothing on the slower side, that was the most rockin’ I’ve seen them yet, including when I saw them with the original line up (to be fair it was the Hear In The Now Frontier tour).

But opening for Priest or Scorpions like they have been, I can totally see how the set list could deliver that disjointed feel.

OK, the last song on this album, well, before the “Rebel Yell” cover,

Ok, that's nasty. I haven't heard it yet, as I had to kill my album listening to make some calls.
It's like finding out this girl you been seeing did someone you know too well, and it sours
you instantly when you discover it---even if you were naively having a lot of fun before. :LOL:

The wannabe-Anselmo vibe Randy was emitting in that video put me off them. I'm a Pantera fan, but not a fan of wannabes of any stripe.

I have trouble enough with Anselmo a lot of times; let alone someone trying to hijack his style.

Just my take on this as a huge fan of both those guys and spent a lot of time trying to rip both of them off; Randy’s voice changed up quite a bit on those first few albums as he was learning how to do his thing and then started taking it more seriously. He’ll be the first one to say that he only got into a metal band as screamer because he made the screaming sound as a joke one night and someone said “Dude, you can do that?! You need to join a metal band!”

The first couple albums were very one dimensional, mono-tone, then he started incorporating the higher pitched screams and you had low screaming Randy and high screaming Randy, by Sacrament he was starting to incorporate his actual voice in with the screaming instead of just pure fry-screaming and that’s where the Anselmo vibe came in. By the next album, Wraith, he had pretty much level out as a vocalist and he’s been in that zone since. IMO, the Anselmo thing was just a stop on the way to him figuring out his own thing. If I’m lucky, I’ll make it past my own ‘figuring it out’ phase and stop ripping off AIC and Randy so much. :rofl

This will be my second time ever listening to Lamb of God on purpose. First was redneck and I wasn't really into it except the awesome video. This song rips.

The whole album is pretty damn good. I had it blasting away all day Saturday. This is the first one I’ve listened to on repeat since Sacrament came out.

Some other tunes to check out that are the reasons I love the band so much-
“The Faded Line”
”11th hour”
”Now You’ve Got Something To Die For”
”Descending”
”Walk With Me In Hell”
”512”

There’s lots more I love, but those are higher up on the list. Sick riffs and a lot could be on a Testament album, who the guys have made no bones about being a major influence on them.

Just my take on this as a huge fan of both those guys and spent a lot of time trying to rip both of them off; Randy’s voice changed up quite a bit on those first few albums as he was learning how to do his thing and then started taking it more seriously. He’ll be the first one to say that he only got into a metal band as screamer because he made the screaming sound as a joke one night and someone said “Dude, you can do that?! You need to join a metal band!”

The first couple albums were very one dimensional, mono-tone, then he started incorporating the higher pitched screams and you had low screaming Randy and high screaming Randy, by Sacrament he was starting to incorporate his actual voice in with the screaming instead of just pure fry-screaming and that’s where the Anselmo vibe came in. By the next album, Wraith, he had pretty much level out as a vocalist and he’s been in that zone since. IMO, the Anselmo thing was just a stop on the way to him figuring out his own thing. If I’m lucky, I’ll make it past my own ‘figuring it out’ phase and stop ripping off AIC and Randy so much. :rofl
I was more referring to the look and the body language he was putting off in the Redneck video. I don't think he sounds too much like Phil.

The whole album is pretty damn good. I had it blasting away all day Saturday. This is the first one I’ve listened to on repeat since Sacrament came out.

Some other tunes to check out that are the reasons I love the band so much-
“The Faded Line”
”11th hour”
”Now You’ve Got Something To Die For”
”Descending”
”Walk With Me In Hell”
”512”

There’s lots more I love, but those are higher up on the list. Sick riffs and a lot could be on a Testament album, who the guys have made no bones about being a major influence on them.
Thanks for the prescription, doc. I'll go get this filled asap

I was more referring to the look and the body language he was putting off in the Redneck video. I don't think he sounds too much like Phil.

Well, there’s not much else to do without a mic in your hand with a camera in your face but point at it while mean-muggin’ it :rofl

I think Palaces and Ashes are a GREAT 1-2 punch. Palaces production (oddly enough, despite DT involvement) left something to be desired. But they both are still firmly in the underground; pre-Redneck phase that I prefer. Redneck is catchy (as is Contractor, another similarish vibe without the cheese vid) but that is for me where their "celebrity" started to creep in.

I think Palaces and Ashes are a GREAT 1-2 punch. Palaces production (oddly enough, despite DT involvement) left something to be desired. But they both are still firmly in the underground; pre-Redneck phase that I prefer. Redneck is catchy (as is Contractor, another similarish vibe without the cheese vid) but that is for me where their "celebrity" started to creep in.

Ever see the Palaces documentary? They put it out a few years back and it gets into why the production was so sh*tty on it. Dev’s talked about it a bunch as well; he basically had this computer built and shipped down there just to record the album and the computer crashed before they even started tracking if I remember right, then it was nothing but issue after issue. I think all the files ended up getting corrupted by the time they went to mix it and they had sh*t to work with.

It definitely lends itself to the charm of the album, though.

And I think the biggest reason Chris Adler bailed is he was getting sick of the paint-by-numbers LoG and wanted to get away from that, but the rest of the band was like “Dude, we’re getting more popular with every album, let’s not f*ck that up.” I can see both their points and I’ve certainly had my gripes with the paint-by-numbers stuff. Really, I think their live shows are what draw more people in than their albums. Those guys, like Sevendust, still play every show like their career counts on it, especially Randy. Dude’s still doing 20 foot jumps off the drum riser.

When I saw them with Slayer on Slayer’s farewell tour it was really quite the experience in regards to crowd response. The crowd was going APESH*T during LoG then about half the audience bailed before Slayer came out. I’ve bailed on so many Slayer shows but wanted to see this one until the end because it was the farewell show, but the remaining crowd was about half the volume as they were during LoG’s set. I actually felt bad for Slayer. Best I’ve ever heard Slayer, too.

Well, there’s not much else to do without a mic in your hand with a camera in your face but point at it while mean-muggin’ it :rofl
Lol, I just watched it again for the first time in a long while...he needs to put on a couple more pounds to really get that Anselmo vibe.

I started at Palaces and stopped at Sacrament, all the Lamb of God I need.
Some bands are really good for a few years and then it's a slow or fast decline downwards, another example is In Flames.
#samsies
I have trouble enough with Anselmo a lot of times; let alone someone trying to hijack his style.
Fuck Anselmo. His “I’m a tough guy” routine was tired when it manifested on Vulgar.

Just listened to this one. Little long; but that spot where I timestamped it is pretty :satan

Back