Mark Morton bails on Jackson

DrewJD82

Staff member
76264AA4-E006-48C3-982E-9B8F5AF2A85F.jpeg

He posted the Gibson diamonds recently in a tweet but didn’t say anything else, so this has been speculated on. I know he’s recorded a lot of LoG stuff on an old Goldtop he’s had for a long time and he’s got a Wino LPC, I guess I just didn’t think he was that big of a Gibson fan to switch over because he seemed quite in love with his Jacksons. Guessing the Mesa association helped grease the deal a little bit.

And damn, Gibson is on the prowl for metal guys lately!

I used to LOVE LoG. Haven't enjoyed their albums since I am not sure when. Randy's vibe got weird and the whole "crusty punk starter kit" schtick just kind of wore on me for whatever reason.

i really like shape of his jackson dominion. its kinda funny, i think i heard at one point he liked that guitar because its not just another same shape guitar and then he goes to a LP haha but whatever. happy he got paid!!

I used to LOVE LoG. Haven't enjoyed their albums since I am not sure when. Randy's vibe got weird and the whole "crusty punk starter kit" schtick just kind of wore on me for whatever reason.

They’ve been doing the paint-by-numbers thing for over a decade now. I got into them riiiiight before Sacrament came out, I remember hearing “11th hour” and it was the first time I heard the ‘melody’ in that kind of vocal style, or hearing a catchy chorus in something that non-commercial and I was hooked. They were the first band I got into that had nothing but screaming vocals.

Then I spent the next 15 years trying to sound like Randy when I screamed. Now I’m trying to un-learn all his inflections because it sounds too much like Randy when I do it, just like when I bought all Vai’s gear in high school and didn’t want to sound like Vai once I had it all. :ROFLMAO:

They’ve been doing the paint-by-numbers thing for over a decade now. I got into them riiiiight before Sacrament came out, I remember hearing “11th hour” and it was the first time I heard the ‘melody’ in that kind of vocal style, or hearing a catchy chorus in something that non-commercial and I was hooked. They were the first band I got into that had nothing but screaming vocals.

Then I spent the next 15 years trying to sound like Randy when I screamed. Now I’m trying to un-learn all his inflections because it sounds too much like Randy when I do it, just like when I bought all Vai’s gear in high school and didn’t want to sound like Vai once I had it all. :ROFLMAO:
I got New American Gospel and loved it. Then I grabbed As the Palaces Burn with the Devy connection and it was :satan

I started at Palaces and stopped at Sacrament, all the Lamb of God I need.
Some bands are really good for a few years and then it's a slow or fast decline downwards, another example is In Flames.
When that Redneck song and video dropped; it was so weird because one side of my mind was in headbang mode but the other side was :wat That was that after that point.

Some bands are really good for a few years and then it's a slow or fast decline downwards, another example is In Flames.

There’s usually a couple good songs on each album, but they’re going to be in that same formula as the rest of their songs. The stuff I’ve dug the most in the last decade+, I suppose since Wraith, are the tunes where they veer off their normal thing, “King Me” was like that, that one single with the clean singing on it, I can’t remember the name and there were a couple on the last record, too.

“Descending” was like that on Sacrament, not their normal thing, even on that album.

I’d have no problem hearing Randy sing more. Dude doesn’t have a bad sounding voice at all and he’s gotta be getting bored doing the same damn thing album after album. I actually heard this song on TGP and it’s one of my favorite things I’ve heard Randy do-

And In Flames, man, I even dug the more commercial sound they started going into, I LOVE Sounds Of A Playground Fading, but they went too far or just didn’t land where I was hoping they would with it. Their new album is getting back into some of the their older sound, which is cool.

Still a live machine. Been treading water since "Ashes".

That band is pretty ridiculous live. While I don’t dig all the songs/albums they’re putting out, it’s been cool as f*ck to see their audience grow over the years. I first saw them in ‘07 on Gigantour and have seem them on every tour since, from smaller venues up to HoB’s and sheds. The coolest one was when they were doing Slayer’s farewell tour; the audience was going apeshit when LoG was out and I thought for sure the Slayer set was going to be 10x crazier, but it was the total opposite. 1/4 of the crowd left and the energy was just so different. That was the best I’ve ever heard Slayer, too.

Then I caught them again at Rockville last November and hearing the crowd singing along as loud as they were and as many people as they drew to the stage, whatever they’re doing, they’re doing it right and I can’t fault them if that means they gotta keep putting out variations of the same album.

Hasn't he practically bailed on touring now as well? In which case snapped headstocks due to transporting it shouldn't be an issue...

Same. A friend of mine was REALLY into LoG right when Palaces came out, and we'd watch the live DVD and everything. I kind of dug the album but the production was horrible (glad they did a complete remix later on). I liked that and Ashes of the Wake, and then everything after that wasn't really my thing. I was getting into KSE and other metalcore bands a bit at the time, and I preferred the groups that had some more melodic things happening.

Anyways, kudos to the artist reps over at Gibson, they've been bringing on a ton of big name artists back into the fold. Kirk Hammett, Dave Mustaine, Jerry Cantrell, etc. Yeah yeah yeah they aren't up and comers, but they still sell a lot of gear.

It's also interesting that Gibson is doing all this without really reinventing themselves a ton. More like, the artists were often using Gibsons behind the scenes or in the past.

Back