Losing My Mind (AXE III Doubling / Slapback / Air Noise)

texhex

Roadie
I could not for the life of me figure this out, it was driving me crazy.

I had a noise issue with the AXE III. It was like a doubling of the input signal, like when you have an additional clean input coming through your signal chain and you hear it underneath the original signal. Or like there was a slight slapback reverb added or cabinet "air" or "space".

I checked everything in the AXE, literally everything, even reset system parameters (which wiped out all my MIDI settings... f*ck!)

Even a super simple patch like this had the doubling / slapback reverb sound.

HGGUNq9.png

I finally figured it out so I hope this helps someone in the future.

I had added my AXE III as a recording input in Windows. DUH! And had forgotten about it (additional clean input coming through signal chain). So every time I would play, the AXE would send the clean input from the USB signal through the Windows output in addition to the AXE grid Output.

JROxzpu.png

ySinlmT.png

I had just purchased a new set of tower speakers and was using them as monitors and thought I could just hear more room reverb but the noise was even there when I had on headphones so I knew something had to be up. Once I unplugged the USB cable from the computer... bingo! no more noise, then I remembered what I had done earlier, setting my AXE up as a windows Input for recording.

Kind of an edge case situation but hopefully this helps someone with a similar issue.

If you are looking for me, I'll be over in the corner... remapping all my MIDI settings. :cry:

Looking at them blocks make my head hurt….

My bandmate would love that his the type if there was password to pedalboard he’ll have it.

Back