Lin 76 compressor quick review.

Bruce

Shredder
So I got the Lin 76 in today. Never having worked with an original 1176 or any of its revisions, I had no expectations other than I wanted it to compress and sound good.
To me, it delivered. I tried it on a snare drum and compared it to all 3 1176 UAD plugins. The Lin 76 needed to be pushed harder to get the same squish, but I think that’s a good thing as there is more useable compression throughout its range and things get really compressed too like the plugins.
Build feels solid. Stepped incremental knobs. TRS IO worked fine for me too.
Final analysis: a good compressor for anyone wanting to get into a hardware comp and not break the bank, but don’t expect sound light years beyond good plugins.

I could be totally wrong here… But I was watching a YouTube video recently and they were talking about compressors/types. I think they said the 1176 was FET and super fast, not very coloring. So it best applies when you want uncolored, quick recovery.

I’m trying to understand this stuff toO … 😜

I could be totally wrong here… But I was watching a YouTube video recently and they were talking about compressors/types. I think they said the 1176 was FET and super fast, not very coloring. So it best applies when you want uncolored, quick recovery.

I’m trying to understand this stuff toO … 😜
Yes the attacks are all under 1ms, very fast. I think both the Lindell and the plugins add some coloration. Nothing crazy but there’s an extra something.

Most people who claim “color” with mic press and compressors can’t identify it in an ABX test so I wouldn’t be worried

Back