Let’s talk phasers

EOengineer

Shredder
The EVH phase 90 i picked up earlier this year is meh. What do you guys like for phasers? I’m MOST partial to script 90 tones but love all phasers.

The PastFX phaser looks cool. I’ve been meaning to grab their MXR M-117 clone too.

Never found phaser to be a flavor I could use very often. Chorus has always been the mod of choice here.
That said, how about a pedal with some variety?

1709508498558.png

Last edited:
I love me some phase, it's probably my most-used modulation effect. For real pedals, I love my Whirlwind Orange Box. For digital, I like Fractal and NDSP's Phase 90, as well as L6's Legacy version.

PastFx Rotary Phaser and Crazy Tube Circuits Cyclone are excellent. The Cyclone has modes for Phase 90/45/Univibe/Small Stone so it's pretty easy to dial in. The RP has it's own thing going on and is great to get really swirly. The Fractal phasers are excellent and the Strymon Ultraviolet does an awesome job if you want vibe tones.

I had a lot of fun with my old Pigtronix Envelope Phaser when I still had.

Even sent it back for modding after some email exchanges with David Koltai.

I don't use Phaser too much but on my Fractal presets, there's always one at the ready with an envelope controller assigned :)

I have a Phase 90 M101, and did the Script mod, R28. I don't really use it that much, even though I think the pedal sounds better after the mod. I tend to use my flange pedal more than the phase. However, neither is the kind of effect I use on a regular basis. It's just nice to have both of those options on my boatrd

I'm honestly no expert on phasers, but I really dig the Strymon Zelzah. It does the classic phaser sounds but so much more where it morphs into flanger and chorus, works as an auto-wah etc.

I don't get into extreme phase sounds. I'm really happy with the mini Phase 95. It just works. Sometimes I do like a grittier phase like the small stone. My Keeley phaser gets me there and has the ability to change the number of stages and is more flexible.

Another favorite is the DOD Phasor 201. Only 2 stages so it doesn't get crazy but sounds great. Extra points for having a big knob I can tweak with my foot.

As far as the MXR stuff goes, I've owned pretty much all of them and I gotta say the Phase 95 is the best of the bunch. All the tone and versatility in a nice small package

For more stages the Mu Tron is where its at imo

IMG_1971.jpg

As far as the MXR stuff goes, I've owned pretty much all of them and I gotta say the Phase 95 is the best of the bunch. All the tone and versatility in a nice small package

For more stages the Mu Tron is where its at imo
Came here to say Mutron. I gigged with a Mutron Phasor II for years (and even had a Bi-Phase for a while). The new pedals Mike Beigel is making are just as good as the originals IMHO.

Came here to say Mutron. I gigged with a Mutron Phasor II for years (and even had a Bi-Phase for a while). The new pedals Mike Beigel is making are just as good as the originals IMHO.

Haha yeah I had one of those Phasor IIs for a bit too, that thing was huge and awesome lol. I love my phasor III and micro tron IV

Had the tru tron 3x for a bit too that I stupidly sold

would love to grab one of the new bi phases

I'm honestly no expert on phasers, but I really dig the Strymon Zelzah. It does the classic phaser sounds but so much more where it morphs into flanger and chorus, works as an auto-wah etc.

I’ve almost bought the Zelzah and the Brig for the chorus tones. (With the Deco being my favorite chorus pedal) Strymon are the kings of badass chorus-not-chorus pedals.

I’ve almost bought the Zelzah and the Brig for the chorus tones. (With the Deco being my favorite chorus pedal) Strymon are the kings of badass chorus-not-chorus pedals.
I have both a Zelzah and Deco and have a hard time deciding which one I prefer for chorus/flanger tones. The Deco is more subtle but the Zelzah has more range.

I've had a Phase 90 for ages that i bought with a snipped R28. I like it and used it quite a bit.
Lately I traded a Walrus Lillian for a dirt pedal I wasn't bonding with, and it's great.
It does all the MXR kinda things, but is nicer and much more flexible. The wet/dry knob turns it into a vibrato kinda affair, which is fun and useful. It is switchable between four and six stage phasing, and both are really different and sound great.

For the whacko phasing stuff I have an old Electra Phaser. Those old Japanese Pedals (Pearl, Electra, Korg to en extend) are super versatile and usually go from subtle to 50 shades of bonkers.

I’ve got a few phasers: EHX Small Stone (I like on cleans), Ibanez PM7 (can get ring mod and wacky sounds), and a DOD 201 (subtle, almost vibe-like).

I still need to get a Phase 90 for VH sounds.

Back