Let’s talk EL34s

I had a set of JJ E34Ls in my DSL40C. It completely changed the amp and I hated them. They were very harsh. Maybe I’d say they were tight to a fault. I replaced them with Mullard Reissue EL34s and my favorite amp came back.

I’ve got an amp with TAD EL34s (STR?) and I’m getting the same vibe from them. Are they similar in that they are harsh?

I’ll eventually get a quad of Mullards for it but I’m watching the spending right now.

I remember the JJ KT77s being pretty good, but it's been a long while since I've used those. Think I just have EH's in my Legacy amp and those have been fine. The Mullard reissues were nice, but also ages since I've had them.

I remember the JJ KT77s being pretty good, but it's been a long while since I've used those. Think I just have EH's in my Legacy amp and those have been fine. The Mullard reissues were nice, but also ages since I've had them.
I have a pair of KT77s … somewhere. I found one tube smashed in my stash not sure if it one of them. I’ll have to check.

I have the regular JJ EL-34 in my 2204, 1959, and Dual Rectifier, no issues. Sounds fine.

If every other EL34 sounds bad in your amp, maybe the current set is the issue and they are causing you to dial in more extreme top end to compensate, which doesn’t sound weird until you swap in another set.

Sorry, I misread.

I’ve not used the JJ EL34L in any of my amps. You might want to try their standard EL34.
I may. The E34L debacle was due to a tech not fixing my amp under warranty but just swapping tubes and charging me for them in a time when I didn’t have an extra dime to spare. Then having the amp sound terrible kind of, possibly unfairly, soured me to JJ tubes.

IIRC TADs are mostly rebranded tubes out of the Shuguang factory? They sort and test them before selling them so you get more balanced sets, but they don’t make any tubes. Sort of like Groove Tubes.

Does any of the brands we buy make their own tubes?
Was thinking this morning, tubes can't be made in most countries because of environmental laws that would result in a lot of manufacturer overhead = MUCH higher tube prices.

I wonder if there's enough of a market willing to pay a lot more for USA tubes?

Considering I'm only buying once a year I'd pay a couple hundred bucks for a pair of EL34s built to crazy tight specs here at home.

Does any of the brands we buy make their own tubes?
Was thinking this morning, tubes can't be made in most countries because of environmental laws that would result in a lot of manufacturer overhead = MUCH higher tube prices.

I wonder if there's enough of a market willing to pay a lot more for USA tubes?

Considering I'm only buying once a year I'd pay a couple hundred bucks for a pair of EL34s built to crazy tight specs here at home.

JJ is the only one I know of who sells their own tubes they actually make. I guess New Sensor was producing EHX directly for them for a while (maybe still?).

I remember a few years ago there was a company that was trying to start manufacturing tubes again in the US, but I haven’t heard anything about them in a while now. Not sure it ever took off

I had a set of JJ E34Ls in my DSL40C. It completely changed the amp and I hated them. They were very harsh. Maybe I’d say they were tight to a fault. I replaced them with Mullard Reissue EL34s and my favorite amp came back.

I’ve got an amp with TAD EL34s (STR?) and I’m getting the same vibe from them. Are they similar in that they are harsh?

I’ll eventually get a quad of Mullards for it but I’m watching the spending right now.
IMHE, JJ EL34L’s are very inconsistent.
But get a solid matched set in a properly biased amp and they f*ck skulls.
They’re GREAT In a Mesa Stilletto Ace.
However, they can toast out you biasing caps/resisters area of your amp and they can take out your amp if they arc’ out.
Not worth the trouble anymore homie.
The regular JJ EL-34’s are by far the best out of all the variations they offer.
True & tried gitter’dones.
Me?
I rock SED =C=‘s’
I like the TAD red base also.

I’ve heard EH 34’s sound better then Mullard X-4’s
in the right amp so..smoke’em if you got’em.
I meant bias’em if you got’em👍

IMHE, JJ EL34L’s are very inconsistent.
But get a solid matched set in a properly biased amp and they f*ck skulls.
They’re GREAT In a Mesa Stilletto Ace.
However, they can toast out you biasing caps/resisters area of your amp and they can take out your amp if they arc’ out.
Not worth the trouble anymore homie.
The regular JJ EL-34’s are by far the best out of all the variations they offer.
True & tried gitter’dones.
Me?
I rock SED =C=‘s’
I like the TAD red base also.

I’ve heard EH 34’s sound better then Mullard X-4’s
in the right amp so..smoke’em if you got’em.
I meant bias’em if you got’em👍
I do have a quad of EH that I took out of a Windsor. Good idea!!

Back