Les Paul Pickup Wiring Help!!!

DrewJD82

Staff member
I’m a total f*cking moron when it comes to pickup wiring, especially on a Les Paul. This is precisely why I order solderless kits from Mad Hatter, so when I f*ck up and put the wrong wire somewhere, I won’t melt all the wires unsoldering it. :rofl

Ok, I know the wire code for the Suhr Aldrich I’m installing- (not splitting coils currently)

Black - Hot
Green - Ground
Red & White wired together

Looking at this pic from Suhr it shows Green/White wires going to the pot, with the Black going to the lug on the pot and this is where I get confused-
2A868DA9-7834-4DCA-BB22-FB138B3EC95E.jpeg

This is the inside of my Orville-
435A8E68-7D92-42A9-8CD6-4C7F5CD7AD7B.jpeg

Those gray wires are the only wires coming from the pickups (one wire per pickup, with a white wire and bare wire inside) and the only thing coming out of them are two wires attached to individual lugs, a bare wire and a white wire. The black cloth wire is going to the selector switch and the top of the pot.

So would I be wiring the Green/White wires to the lugs and the Black to the hot?

I’m a total f*cking moron when it comes to pickup wiring, especially on a Les Paul. This is precisely why I order solderless kits from Mad Hatter, so when I f*ck up and put the wrong wire somewhere, I won’t melt all the wires unsoldering it. :rofl

Ok, I know the wire code for the Suhr Aldrich I’m installing- (not splitting coils currently)

Black - Hot
Green - Ground
Red & White wired together

Looking at this pic from Suhr it shows Green/White wires going to the pot, with the Black going to the lug on the pot and this is where I get confused-
View attachment 3379
This is the inside of my Orville-
View attachment 3378

Those gray wires are the only wires coming from the pickup and the only thing coming out of them are two wires attached to individual lugs, a bare wire and a white wire. The black cloth wire is going to the selector switch and the top of the pot.

So would I be wiring the Green/White wires to the lugs and the Black to the hot?

Your Suhr is a 4 wire, and original is vintage style cloth wrapped wire. So a little confusion
makes sense. :)

Green and Bare to Ground. Black to lug on Pot. Red and White taped together and left floating.
You would only solder Red and White to a pot/switch if you were using the coil tap option on the
Humbucker.

Oh, and make sure you go to the proper pot. When they are upside down and we are not that
fluent it is easy to amputate the wrong leg. :LOL:

And the Suhr pic I bet what you think is White is actually the bare wire wrap. That is maybe why it is not
jiving with the color code for the Aldrich.

Your Suhr is a 4 wire, and original is vintage style cloth wrapped wire. So a little confusion
makes sense. :)

Green and Bare to Ground. Black to lug on Pot. Red and White taped together and left floating.
You would only solder Red and White to a pot/switch if you were using the coil tap option on the
Humbucker.

Oh, and make sure you go to the proper pot. When they are upside down and we are not that
fluent it is easy to amputate the wrong leg. :LOL:

And the Suhr pic I bet what you think is White is actually the bare wire wrap. That is maybe why it is not
jiving with the color code for the Aldrich.

You’re totally right about the white/bare, I just looked up quickly and thought it was white.

Thank you, brother!

Hahaha and yeah, I learned the upside down thing when I put a new 5-way in my JEM years ago.…..and to test something before I put the guitar back together because I ended up keeping that switch upside until my next string change!

F*CKING C*CKC*NTF*CKING F*CKFACE C*NTRAG F*CKING F*CK

The pickup screw height adjustment holes on the Aldrich were too small for the screws, grabbed a drill to widen them a pinch, first one went just fine and on the second one the drill snagged and went the pickup twisted in my hand it widened the hole too far.

So now I’ve got to drive to Home Depot tomorrow to find a nut that I can solder onto the f*cking pickup just to install the f*Cking thing.

This is why I f*cking hate touching f*cking pickups. Every single f*cking time some bullsh*t occurs. Every. Single. Time.

F*CKING C*CKC*NTF*CKING F*CKFACE C*NTRAG F*CKING F*CK

The pickup screw height adjustment holes on the Aldrich were too small for the screws, grabbed a drill to widen them a pinch, first one went just fine and on the second one the drill snagged and went the pickup twisted in my hand it widened the hole too far.

So now I’ve got to drive to Home Depot tomorrow to find a nut that I can solder onto the f*cking pickup just to install the f*Cking thing.

This is why I f*cking hate touching f*cking pickups. Every single f*cking time some bullsh*t occurs. Every. Single. Time.

Damn. That sucks. Did the Aldrich NOT come with its own screws and springs???

I had similar head-bashing-into-wall moments with my Ibanez S and my Strat. At least there isn't a pick guard. I have new strings on my Strat but they're currently unstrung, resting loosely in a clamp, and waiting for a new pot all sitting on my workbench.

I hate shit like this :mad: Mojo sent that you can approach with a fresh mindset and not chuck it across the room. I started liking stock pickups after a time (or five) like this.

I hate s**t like this :mad: Mojo sent that you can approach with a fresh mindset and not chuck it across the room. I started liking stock pickups after a time (or five) like this.

I put the original pickup back in and in the process already figured out how I'm going to snake the pickup wiring through the cavity the next time I change it out because holy sh*t getting that wire back in was a nightmare!

While this wasn't a soldering issue, using the Mad Hatter stuff greatly cut down on me f*cking things up and I've been happy changing pickups because of those. I just can't believe I didn't check the f*cking box for the springs/screws.

You know what the issue was? I DIDN'T smoke first! Got a bag of Applejacks last night instead of Cheetos, that'll help!

Use a Duncan diagram (same as Suhr) and the screws are standard ie the same size. I only ever find very cheap OEM to ever use anything else.

Back