Korn

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy All anybody ever play any Korn ?
was wondering if a 7 string is required for that heavy mean tone or can it also be done with a 6 string ?

Example below

Thanks all bois
:headbang

It's easier to use 7 strings just for tunning stability and tension. But no there isnt an inherent need for it. Slap a dual rec model and go to town

Linkin Park Fan GIF

You either need to use a 7 string OR get the Ernie Ball Beefy set which basically gives you the 6 lowest strings off a 7 string set so you can throw them on a 6 string.

Part of the heaviness of the 7 string is the extra string tension because of the huge string gauges. You pretty much have to recut the nut on a 6 string to use a string thick enough to keep reasonable tension at such a low tuning, drop A I believe.

I ended up just getting a PRS Custom 24 7 string for a great price and just keep that around for when I want to get my chug on.

You either need to use a 7 string OR get the Ernie Ball Beefy set which basically gives you the 6 lowest strings off a 7 string set so you can throw them on a 6 string.

Part of the heaviness of the 7 string is the extra string tension because of the huge string gauges. You pretty much have to recut the nut on a 6 string to use a string thick enough to keep reasonable tension at such a low tuning, drop A I believe.

I ended up just getting a PRS Custom 24 7 string for a great price and just keep that around for when I want to get my chug on.
Yup for the few times id use a 7 something like this for bout tree fiddy can work

31437_ibanez_grg7221mmlb_IBANEZ-GRG7221MMLB-ACCLAIM-THUMB.jpg

I remember not long after their first album came out and their popularity was growing Guitar World (I think) transcribed Blind but they had it arranged for Dropped D. I went through and learnt it and remember it actually sounding pretty good.

Hell yeah I suck toes….I mean, love Korn.

7-strings are fun, sure, you can tune a 6-down to the same tuning and lose the high E string, but 7’s feel and sound different than 6-strings. Not a better/worse thing, just different.

They tune to A-standard, I think the drop from E to A would be a bit much on the FM9 or even the III, it’s such a low tuning to begin with that dialing in a tone gets tricky and using the pitch block would just kinda muck it up that much more. If you had a guitar in C-standard it wouldn’t be such a stretch.

I threw this together in about 30 seconds when the DynaCabs first came out when someone said they weren’t able to get a heavy Korn tone using them. Just a boosted Dual Rec into a Mesa DynaCab, I keep that 7-string in standard so I also used the pitch block to go down a step.

Also, before I’d entertain the idea of an Ibanez GIO, I’d look around for an RG7621 or RG7421, they’re a step above the Gio’s and can be found from $350-$450. Hell, I got my RG7620 for $500 last year. Just avoid any Lo-TRS bridges or anything that’s not a fixed bridge or a Lo-Pro 7 or you’ll be making a thread about Floyd’s like JT. :rofl

Seems the Variax solves all these Different tunings with 1 Guitar , may be worth it

Ughh more GAs lol

line-6-shuriken-sr250-south-coast-music.jpg

PS also comes in White and Love thats a Bridge PuP only :unsure:

Last edited:

7-strings are fun, sure, you can tune a 6-down to the same tuning and lose the high E string, but 7’s feel and sound different than 6-strings. Not a better/worse thing, just different.

They tune to A-standard, I think the drop from E to A would be a bit much on the FM9 or even the III, it’s such a low tuning to begin with that dialing in a tone gets tricky and using the pitch block would just kinda muck it up that much more. If you had a guitar in C-standard it wouldn’t be such a stretch.

I threw this together in about 30 seconds when the DynaCabs first came out when someone said they weren’t able to get a heavy Korn tone using them. Just a boosted Dual Rec into a Mesa DynaCab, I keep that 7-string in standard so I also used the pitch block to go down a step.

Also, before I’d entertain the idea of an Ibanez GIO, I’d look around for an RG7621 or RG7421, they’re a step above the Gio’s and can be found from $350-$450. Hell, I got my RG7620 for $500 last year. Just avoid any Lo-TRS bridges or anything that’s not a fixed bridge or a Lo-Pro 7 or you’ll be making a thread about Floyd’s like JT. :rofl

Dayumm Drew, heavy AF wow !!

Hell yeah. (y)

Seems the Variax solves all these Different tunings with 1 Guitar , may be worth it

Ughh more GAs lol

line-6-shuriken-sr250-south-coast-music.jpg

PS also comes in White and Love thats a Bridge PuP only :unsure:

Damn, I never realized how similar that headstock and Solar headstocks are.

Back