Just Bought a JB SH-4

The JB is great but there are three slightly different models of it over the years. Hard to tell them apart though just by tone. I the the original with "the JB model" sticker on the bottom.
The version I have has the nickel cover. That may balance the tone some.

EMG85 for Low Gain/Bluesrock
Fight Running GIF by La Guarimba Film Festival

(Honestly, it sounds so fat)

+1 to EMG alnico

don't overlook the importance of pickup height with EMGs, you can sit there with a screwdriver and move it up and down by the tiniest little amounts and get completely different response, helps to have a little crunch going to hear. EMGs are not dull and lifeless, they just don't have the prominent high resonance peak of regular humbuckers

Some of the most iconic tones of the 80s and 90s were JBs in Superstrats and non Les Paul style guitars. :idk

Warren Demartini---Ratt
Jerry Cantrell---Alice in Chains
Marty Friedman---Megadeth
Jake E. Lee---Ozzy Osbourne/Badlands
Steve Stevens ----Billy Idol

Late to the party but I've been going round the pickup block for the past 4 years and tried a sh!t ton of them.

Passives are my all-round favorites and the top 3 ones I'd recommend people try (not just for hi-gain stuff) are:

1. SD Black Winter
2. SD SH-5
3. Suhr Aldrich

As far as actives are concerned, I really like the Keith Merrow Fishman set (voiced very low-gain compared to what Keith's famous for) followed very closely by the Fishman Open Core Classic.
Had a couple of EMGs (classic 81/60, 85/60, Jim Root set) but the Fishmans are better.

The BKP stuff is alright too - way too much hype on that train to be honest. I still have their Rebel Yell, Alnico Nailbomb, Miracle Man, Brute Force and True Gritt pickups. Out of the bunch, the Rebel Yell is probably the one I enjoy the most - still like the other passives I listed better though.

The BKP stuff is alright too - way too much hype on that train to be honest. I still have their Rebel Yell, Alnico Nailbomb, Miracle Man, Brute Force and True Gritt pickups. Out of the bunch, the Rebel Yell is probably the one I enjoy the most - still like the other passives I listed better though.
I have a Cold Sweat in a guitar for reference. It's decent. I prefer it over the SH-4.

Back