Just Bought a Fender Bass VI. Bridge Humbucker Suggestions?

Digital Igloo

Roadie
Gear Pro
Hit my buddy @Stilwel from Fender up and he confirmed it was a stupid good deal, so I snagged a Bass VI for $375 ($125 off) at Sweetwater. Looking to replace the bridge pickup with a single coil-sized humbucker. Mainly play noisy post rock and aggressive, shoegazey stuff.

Or should I stick with the stock bridge pickup for now?

EDIT: The Cure's Wish (30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) dropped last week, which triggered a revisit of Ned's Atomic Dustbin, so...

Last edited:
I have not tried that guitar, but maybe a Little 59 ? It has 4 wires, so it can be split
It might get to high output vs the stock once

I have no advice, just wanted to say that’s awesome!

I’ve been eyeing these for the last year or so, I know I’ll get one at some point, I just need to have some kind of “need” I can justify with it!

Hit my buddy @Stilwel from Fender up and he confirmed it was a stupid good deal, so I snagged a Bass VI for $375 ($125 off) at Sweetwater. Looking to replace the bridge pickup with a single coil-sized humbucker. Mainly play noisy post rock and aggressive, shoegazey stuff.

Or should I stick with the stock bridge pickup for now?

EDIT: The Cure's Wish (30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) dropped last week, which triggered a revisit of Ned's Atomic Dustbin, so...

Congrats! I bought one a year ago and have left it bone stock. I have an "It is what it is" credo when it comes
to super cheap guitars. I embrace it now. I wasn't always that way.

I think it rocks, and is fun to play when I feel stunted.

I have no advice, just wanted to say that’s awesome!

I’ve been eyeing these for the last year or so, I know I’ll get one at some point, I just need to have some kind of “need” I can justify with it!

That Beatles film that came out a year ago totally hooked me. What is nuts is I have since
purchased 2 considerably more expensive new guitars since (Charvel Jake E. Lee Sig, Ibanez
AZ prestige) and sent them both back, because of issues a Squier didn't have. WTF? Dumb luck??

That Beatles film that came out a year ago totally hooked me. What is nuts is I have since
purchased 2 considerably more expensive new guitars since (Charvel Jake E. Lee Sig, Ibanez
AZ prestige) and sent them both back, because of issues a Squier didn't have. WTF? Dumb luck??

Fender’s been killin’ it with those Squires!

FedEx is a mess. After receiving the Squier Bass VI five days after they said it'd show up (and two days after it was "on the truck to your house"), they delivered it to a completely different house, resting against the garage door, 10 feet from the street, at 11pm. Pinged the status at 2am and then ran up and down the street hoping it was a neighbor's house. Found it half a block away.

Anyone know if they're supposed to ship with a whammy bar? Pictures on Fender's site show one but those on Sweetwater don't. No manual either.

EDIT: Yeah, it was missing in the packaging. Sweetwater's sending me a new one.

Tons of fun to play, tho'!

Last edited:
Love these! even got me some gigs as a (overplaying) bass player.
stock pups seem fine to me.

2 recordings I shot with the “loaner” that convinced me to get one of my own:

FedEx is a mess. After receiving the Squier Bass VI five days after they said it'd show up (and two days after it was "on the truck to your house"), they delivered it to a completely different house, resting against the garage door, 10 feet from the street, at 11pm. Pinged the status at 2am and then ran up and down the street hoping it was a neighbor's house. Found it half a block away.

Anyone know if they're supposed to ship with a whammy bar? Pictures on Fender's site show one but those on Sweetwater don't. No manual either.

EDIT: Yeah, it was missing in the packaging. Sweetwater's sending me a new one.

Tons of fun to play, tho'!

That's nuts. They did that to me around the same time period. Dec. 12. Phone pinged and there is a
pic of my package at a door/house that was not mine. Get in car and drive around the neighborhood
and can't find that color of house. File claim. They tell me, "We have a pic of it delivered." :facepalm

Yup, at a brown house with a white door. Not mine bastards!

Two days later it is on my porch. Pretty sure whoever they delivered it to, found the address on the
package and was honest and put it on my porch. That made me feel pretty decent about where I
live and the people around me. :beer

Are you playing the Bass VI much?

Back