Is there a reason to buy pedal power from someone else besides TruTone?

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
Looking for a second supply for my dirt board. I can't think of why you would want to go in a different direction given how the TruTone handles power.

If they work for you and you don't care about e.g smaller size.

I'm a CIOKS man.

Do the Ciocks handle current draw the same aka each tap takes what it needs that is available?
I would imagine pretty much all power supplies would work like that, with some maximum draw from a single outlet depending on the output voltage.

I would imagine pretty much all power supplies would work like that, with some maximum draw from a single outlet depending on the output voltage.
I actually thought that was a proprietary thing with TruTone.

Pffff, if you aren’t getting your power from a small water mill outside your home you’re clearly hellbent on destroying the earth and don’t know what good tone is. Hydro power is the only power good enough for me tone.

Pffff, if you aren’t getting your power from a small water mill outside your home you’re clearly hellbent on destroying the earth and don’t know what good tone is. Hydro power is the only power good enough for me tone.
Free range ethically treated hamster wheel power or gtfo
hamster GIF

been out of the pedal game for a bit and mine still works great, what happened to voodoo labs?

I actually thought that was a proprietary thing with TruTone.

Trutone will allow you to draw the maximum power of the whole unit from one jack. Neither Cioks or Strymon do that. You’re right it is unique to them. I don’t know that it’s patented, but they’re the only ones with that capability right now. I prefer that approach, when/if I buy a bigger/better power supply it will be a trutone.

I think the cioks are physically smaller, but with so many power hungry pedals out there these days I would prefer the trutone.

D

Trutone will allow you to draw the maximum power of the whole unit from one jack. Neither Cioks or Strymon do that. You’re right it is unique to them. I don’t know that it’s patented, but they’re the only ones with that capability right now. I prefer that approach, when/if I buy a bigger/better power supply it will be a trutone.

I think the cioks are physically smaller, but with so many power hungry pedals out there these days I would prefer the trutone.

D
I've had all of the TruTones. I have the CS6 currently. I don't really need that much power up front. I might jus grab a second CS-6 and call it good.

I have a Voodoo Lab X8 which I bought last year to build a pedalboard. Worked great using a bunch of high draw pedals including an HX Stomp XL plus Strymon Iridium plus others.

I think it's a little lower profile than the Truetone CS7 but has more power than the CS6, which is why I bought it. Either that or it was in stock and the others weren't Can't recall.

Would be happy with any of them I bet, but the Voodoo Lab is still pretty dang good.

I have a Voodoo Lab X8 which I bought last year to build a pedalboard. Worked great using a bunch of high draw pedals including an HX Stomp XL plus Strymon Iridium plus others.

I think it's a little lower profile than the Truetone CS7 but has more power than the CS6, which is why I bought it. Either that or it was in stock and the others weren't Can't recall.

Would be happy with any of them I bet, but the Voodoo Lab is still pretty dang good.
My current CS6 powers a tuner, wah, 2 dirt pedals and an HX Stomp. Pretty powerful all things considered. The second power supply really would power another wah and 3/4 other dirt pedals that I add when I feel like it.

I like Truetone, too, and have gotten a lot of use out my CS6. Only time it ended up short on power was trying to run an HXFX and TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 off it. The Mic Mechanic is crazy power hungry and trying to have both was causing the HXFX to act up.

But regardless, the CS6 is fantastic and has otherwise always been enough for me.

While I am with you on the true tone, I'll be bold enough to suggest a one spot + daisy chain if all you're doin' is dirt and wah.
I have a couple of them. I am using one for the nux bumblee satellite dirt board and it's fine. Just not a finished vibe (not that I am ever finished). I could couple it with my $30 Decimator mini pedal I scored and get the same general effect I am desiring from an isolated power supply :unsure:

I have a couple of them. I am using one for the nux bumblee satellite dirt board and it's fine. Just not a finished vibe (not that I am ever finished). I could couple it with my $30 Decimator mini pedal I scored and get the same general effect I am desiring from an isolated power supply :unsure:

Save yourself the hassle and get a True Tone, as me how I know about the trouble of pushing a 1 spot passed what it’s good for…

D

Can't comment on the Truetones, but as an oldschool cheap skater I'm using a PowerPlant ISO-12 Pro from Harley Benton. Using it for half a year so far, took it through some rather serious stresstests (as in connecting more things than I need for 24 hours) and it still seems to be doing fine. Good enough to power my entire board, which is at least sort of crowded by now...
board.jpg

Back