Is owning a Mark IV and a Mark V excessive?

The Mark V is arguably a superior amp with superior features and does
things that no other Mark series amp can do.

Season 1 Nbc GIF by Perfect Harmony

I honestly don't know how anyone can elevate a IV over a V if they have
spent a lot of time with both. It's not even splitting hairs, in my experience.
The gap is quite wide. For me. II, III, and IV are all great.... but each is more
limited and have compromises. Unless you need that one tone you think a
previous Mark iteration offers. :idk

Mesa peaked with the Mark V in the Mark series if one is combining tones, options,
versatility, and functionality. None of the other Mark series amps can do all that the
V does. Full stop.

You do need a Rectifier and Mark variant, though, so there is that. But you can get a
Dual or Triple Rectifier down the road to address that.

Either way. No wrong answer here. :guiness :beer

this isn’t really a V vs. IV thread the question is more having both… I’ve had the mark V before and quite like the amp, I would be retaining both Marks if I did this.

I guess my line of thinking is that for what the roadster does, I kiiinda prefer the 5153 in a smaller and more convenient package

Also you can pretty easily find roadsters for 1200-1300 these days, not so with a Mark V so if there was any major regrets could probable revert for a profit :idk

The roadster is an amazing and versatile amp thi

This is just another one of those "I already know what I am going to do, but let's elicit public reaction,
because I have a few hours to kill before the deal goes down"
threads, isn't it? :knit:stirthepot:hmm

There are Mesa Rectifier options apart from the Rooadster, too, that some might consider a step above. :idk

Imo the V is much more versatile but if you plan on just staying in channel 3 of the V it may be redundant and id just stay with the IV and not get the V as well.

But again it sounds like you already did this so my word may mean nothing 🤣

I'm probably the worst person to reply to this. I have 4 Marshalls, 1 amp that sounds like a Marshall, 2 amps with a Marshall-y crunch channel and 3 Marshall in a Box overdrive pedals.

So in my opinion, no, not excessive.
Bill; why don't you have a JVM? All the DSLs, Plexis, etc. and I don't believe I have ever read about you going on a JVM tear?

There's a rackmount Mark IV on guitar center used for $1400 right now!

EDIT: nevermind, it was there last night, already gone

Back