iPhone as FX processor in Helix

pipelineaudio

Shredder
Is anyone using a spare iphone as an auxilliary fx unit in Helix? I would love to have it so I could add my favorite Bias amps and also theres a really good poly pitch app. I've had some bits of success trying it using path 1's output as a send and path 2's input as a receive. Not sure if I can get MIDI over USB to switch it somehow.

The biggest bummer is that you lose the ability to use HX Edit when the phone is in the FX loop. I suppose I could use an iOs compatible interface to go analog and stick it in an fx loop, but that would add even more pain.

Is anyone using the iphone inside their helix?

Do they make one small enough to fit on a pedalboard? I was hoping the Tonex thing would be, but egads man, it is large

I still can’t get over the fact that you’ve found a tone in Bias that can’t be replicated (as good, or better) in Helix.

I still can’t get over the fact that you’ve found a tone in Bias that can’t be replicated (as good, or better) in Helix.
Its probably a really crap tone, but I really like it. I should do another 100 dollar challenge to whoever can get it the closest in Helix. Last time, it didn't get anywhere close, but we ended up with a lot of cool sounds (including the one I'm using now), so it was worth the money

Last edited:
Not sure if I can get MIDI over USB to switch it somehow.
Assuming the iOS app you're using (e.g. Bias) supports MIDI, then yes, this can absolutely be done. Just make sure MIDI over USB is enabled and configured for the right channel, and set up the appropriate PC's or CC's in Command Center.

Why bother?…4 years from now we all exclusively use phones as modeling hardware…and we can bicker on android sounding better then iOS ;-)

Why bother? Because I live now, not four years from now. We can already use our phones as modelling hardware. But in this case, I like the hardware control and switching and routing that the helix floor provides

A Stomp/Tone-X combo in 4cm would kill.
And would cost as much as an FM9...

...that would CRUSH IT!

giphy.gif

Back